Recommendation for a Wiki About Software Engineering

  • Shlomi Fish
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2 2:06 AM
      Hi all!

      In this recently-published essay of mine:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/optimizing-code-for-speed/

      I made a call for a catalogue of code optimisations similar to the catalog of
      refactorings in Martin Fowler's book or the Portland Patterns' Repository. The
      best way to collaborate on such a catalogue is probably using a wiki, so I'm
      looking for a good software engineering wiki to work on it.

      I'm ruling out http://c2.com/cgi/wiki because it uses a primitive and horrible
      syntax, and its page titles cannot contain spaces (or anything besides letters
      which results in CamelCase). I'd prefer a MediaWiki or something more modern
      than the original WikiWikiWeb.

      Regards,

      Shlomi Fish

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      Interview with Ben Collins-Sussman - http://xrl.us/bjn8s

      <mauke> I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you trying to
      achieve?
      <PerlJam> mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
      the last thing standing in my way! ;)
    • Adam Sroka
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2 2:52 PM
        On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
        > Hi all!
        >
        > In this recently-published essay of mine:
        >
        > http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/optimizing-code-for-speed/
        >
        > I made a call for a catalogue of code optimisations similar to the catalog
        > of
        > refactorings in Martin Fowler's book or the Portland Patterns' Repository.
        > The
        > best way to collaborate on such a catalogue is probably using a wiki, so I'm
        > looking for a good software engineering wiki to work on it.
        >
        > I'm ruling out http://c2.com/cgi/wiki because it uses a primitive and
        > horrible
        > syntax, and its page titles cannot contain spaces (or anything besides
        > letters
        > which results in CamelCase). I'd prefer a MediaWiki or something more modern
        > than the original WikiWikiWeb.

        Well, the advantage of Ward's Wiki is the community associated with it
        more than the tool (Which is intentionally quite primitive.) If you go
        somewhere else you lose the access to that community. So, it's a
        question of what is more important to you.