Re: [XP] Dealing with new manager concerns

  • Dossy
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 1, 2000
      On 2000.11.01, Extreme Programming Lab <xplab@...> wrote:

      > I think he is more concerned about how the developers will deal with having
      > to work with others. We have some developers who don't work well with
      > others and they would not much care to have to pair program.

      Get rid of them.

      They'll doom any project that's more complex than one person can handle.
      Or, you just don't put them on those projects, in which case they become
      specialized labor, which is more costly to an organization than a
      general purpose worker bee. And, given the choice between more and less
      costly for the same resulting output, management should always choose
      the less costly alternative -- get rid of the developers.

      Anyone worth their salt will be willing to pair as a simple matter of
      pride in their abilities. Anyone junior should be willing to pair as
      a matter of learning new things.

      Anyone refusing to pair simply has something to hide. Eventually,
      it'll surface, and you'll want to get rid of them for it. Treat
      "will you be a pair programmer?" as a Spike Test for developer competency.

      IMHO, of course. I'll let the "real authorities" speak to this issue...

      - Dossy

      --
      Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
    • John Brewer
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 1, 2000
        Don't let the fact that people can't (or won't) pair keep you from
        enjoying the benefits of the other 11 practices of XP.

        Understand what you're giving up, though. You'll probably need to
        have technical reviews to keep code quality up. And people will be
        much more likely to waste time on "rabbit trails" while coding. And
        you'll have to monitor more for people going off process (not testing
        and integrating enough, for example).

        XP minus pairing is less good than full XP. But XP minus pairing is
        probably substantially better than what you're doing today.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Extreme Programming Lab