Re: [XP] Re: Ten Agile Transition Tips Video

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
      On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:34 AM, paymentexpert <paymentexpert@...>wrote:

      > great Talk! Could you give some hints on what the upfront assessment
      > should contain?

      You generally need to

      1. Decide who to meet with and make up an agenda

      We generally like to meet with a variety of people from all areas -- top
      management, BAs, product people, testers, developers, DBAs or managers,
      etc., etc.

      2. Conduct the interviews, which are also an opportunity to quickly educate
      folks on what Agile/XP is

      One hour or 1.5 hour interview work. I tend to scribble a lot of notes and
      ask questions to learn more about what is already working well and what
      needs improvement. Also, what are the possible stumbling blocks to going
      Agile.

      3. Share your findings (verbally or with a report).

      We do both, including some suggested next steps. In this step, you ought to
      know what kind of transition is possible, if any is possible.

      The above is some bare-bones guidance. I should make some time to write
      this up one day...

      > One point I could think of is:
      > "Is there support for the transition in top level management?"
      > Jeff Sutherland explained that too many Agile teams get "weeded out"
      > by top level management so he trains those people first.

      Yes, since 2001, we've found that it is vital to work with senior
      management. That doesn't mean we do "top-down" transitions. It just means
      we work to get management on the same page as everyone else.

      best
      jk

      TwitterId: JoshuaKerievsky