RE: [XP] Dealing with new manager concerns

  • Extreme Programming Lab
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 1, 2000
      Kevin wrote:
      >> 2. He doesn't want to force anyone to work in groups if their comfort
      zone
      >> is their own cube.
      >
      >I totally understand his concern. In a non-XP environment, open
      >spaces are about the worst thing you can do to developers. There are
      >many creative options here, so I find it hard to believe this would
      >be a showstopper. XP-friendly cubes are doable, if that's the best
      >you can get. At some point, perhaps the masses will be screaming for
      >a shared space because they feel too isolated.

      I think he is more concerned about how the developers will deal with having
      to work with others. We have some developers who don't work well with
      others and they would not much care to have to pair program.
    • John Brewer
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 1, 2000
        Don't let the fact that people can't (or won't) pair keep you from
        enjoying the benefits of the other 11 practices of XP.

        Understand what you're giving up, though. You'll probably need to
        have technical reviews to keep code quality up. And people will be
        much more likely to waste time on "rabbit trails" while coding. And
        you'll have to monitor more for people going off process (not testing
        and integrating enough, for example).

        XP minus pairing is less good than full XP. But XP minus pairing is
        probably substantially better than what you're doing today.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Extreme Programming Lab