RE: [XP] Better communication

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 20 8:55 AM
      Hi Milo,

      > <linux_tim@...> wrote:
      > > by the process, practitioners, novices, or promoters?
      >
      > By advocates in general.

      That's really not helpful. In the current commercial
      environment, all sorts of folks are advocating something
      that they call "agile." Much of it is fake. If you can
      be more specific as to what was said, we might be able
      to tell you if we agree with it.

      > It just seems like the limits of
      > self-management are not being discussed as much as they
      > probably should. People new to the idea are misunderstanding
      > that it's largely, but not completely, hands-off.

      It's nothing new that people take a name or phrase and
      imagine they understand it. I know a number of agile
      practitioners of various stripes and methodologies.
      None of them would misunderstand this or fail to
      discuss it if the question came up.

      I also wound never use the phrase "hands-off" to describe
      the management of an agile team. In fact, agile teams
      give managers much more feedback and can end up feeling
      much more "hands-on" in certain cases.

      That said, "self-managing team" is a rather abstract
      concept. Can we talk about one particular thing that
      you feel should be "controlled" by management but
      which you have been told should not be?

      Charlie

    • Charlie Poole
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 20 8:55 AM