Re: [XP] Documentation and External Stakeholders

    Message 1 of 41 , Nov 1, 2000
      At 10:55 PM 10/31/2000 -0700, Jim Little wrote:
      >This is a very interesting discussion. I think XP's dependence on the
      >customer is its biggest failing. The XP customer must:
      >
      >* Understand the domain well
      >* Understand the users' needs well
      >* Be honest and intelligent
      >* Be available to work alongside the team full time
      >* AND be willing to take total responsibility for an entire expensive
      >project!
      >
      >How often does that happen!??

      Often enough to keep me on airplanes. But your observation makes me wonder
      this: how can a project really succeed without someone(s) to do those things?

      I choose to hope that there is someone there who wants the thing, and who
      will take part if you can find them. I do recall the guys at some bar at
      some SD who told me they literally Do Not Know who their customer is. They
      get anonymous emails, and post the product on some secret web site or some
      such thing. They would have told me more but then they would have had to
      kill me. How's THAT working, guys?

      www.objectmentor.com
    • Jim Little
      Message 41 of 41 , Nov 1, 2000
        From: "Ron Jeffries" <ronjeffries@...>

        > >* Understand the domain well
        > >* Understand the users' needs well
        > >* Be honest and intelligent
        > >* Be available to work alongside the team full time
        > >* AND be willing to take total responsibility for an entire expensive
        > >project!
        > >
        > >How often does that happen!??
        >
        > Often enough to keep me on airplanes. But your observation makes me wonder
        > this: how can a project really succeed without someone(s) to do those
        things?

        Other methodologies address this issue by having a member of the development
        team, or an analyst, do them. For the most successful project I've ever
        been on, I was that person. (Well, except the "honest and intelligent"
        part.)

        On the other hand, that project was still cancelled. And I found out later
        that the three most important things didn't get done because they were last
        on the priority list. Even though the user reps were the ones that set the
        priorities.

        :b

        Jim