Re: [XP] Re: Reversibility and symmetry

    Message 1 of 64 , Nov 1, 2000
      At 10:52 PM 10/31/2000 -0700, Jim Little wrote:
      >The key was SMALL STEPS. You see, without small steps, the "refactoring"
      >part got left out too easily. I would identify something to refactor, but
      >would be in the middle of something, so I'd write the refactoring down on a
      >card. Then when my tests were passing again, the importance of the
      >refactoring didn't seem as great (besides, it'll take too long and I've got
      >a deadline to meet), so some refactorings wouldn't get done.
      >
      >With small steps, I find myself refactoring much much more often.
      >Refactorings are easier if you don't let them pile up.
      >
      >This point is *key* in my opinion, but I don't know if its emphasized in the
      >the XP literature. I never got it until Ron beat it into my head at OOPSLA.
      >(Me: Do you really program that way? Really really?)

      <quiet applause and a smile>

      And I really really do. ;-> Thanks.

      www.objectmentor.com
    • John Brewer
      Message 64 of 64 , Nov 2, 2000
        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "William Wake"
        <william.wake@a...> wrote:
        > You can do others as well - I have one that goes
        > "0 to Command to Interpreter to Visitor (and Back)"
        > that I haven't had the patience to rewrite & post.
        > (And let me tell you - "Visitor back to Interpreter"
        > is a pretty good path to have if you're thinking of
        > using Visitor:)

        Please write this up. I'm re-reading the Gang of Four book with the
        Silicon Valley Patterns group, and I'd love to see examples of how you
        arrive at patterns through refactoring instead of creationism.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design