[ANN] Merb Mind Maps - a tutorial on RSpec, GraphViz & a little Merb

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2009
      Netizens:

      Crispin & Gregory's new book, /Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and
      Agile Teams/, has a kewt "mind map" at the start of each chapter. It inspired me
      to find a way to use the "tag cloud" on a blog to draw a mind map of the posts,
      linked by their tags in common.

      The result is this little project:

      http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/02/merb-mind-maps.html

      It showcases...

      - graph theory - including Minimum Spanning Tree
      - GraphViz - to typeset the mind maps
      - Merb - a Rails-style website platform
      - Ruby - that annoying language that won't go away
      - RSpec - a Behavior Driven Development system
      - transparent PNG files with ImageMagick drop-shadows
      - assert{ 2.0 } - an assertion that reflects its expressions
      - assert{ xpath } - the latest version of my assert_xpath system
      - TDD for algorithms & graph theory!
      - fixture-dependencies - a Rails fixture clone with more features
      - GraphvizR - a lite Ruby gem that wraps GraphViz dot notation
      - and even a tiny bit of HAML!

      The algorithm itself depends on none of those things, so any blog could use the
      algorithm to present the mind-maps that are already latent within it!