Re: [XP][:-] IEEE XP "Dynabook"

  • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2000
      >I'm also surprised nobody raised the cultishness of this community.

      Cool! were a cult now. Who's passing out the robes? Is there any kool-aid?
    • Hugo Garcia
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 31, 2000
        I want an Official XP Cap and Official XP Leather Jacket. I've
        been searching Amazon but can't find it. Can anybody help?

        -H

      • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 31, 2000
          I had one of the Offical XP buttons from OOPSLA on my backpack, but someone
          stole it :->

          Hugo Garcia
          <hugo.garcia@mail.o To: extremeprogramming@egroups.com
          ffice.com> cc:
          Subject: RE: [XP][:-] IEEE XP "Dynabook"
          10/31/2000 07:25 PM
          Please respond to
          extremeprogramming

          I want an Official XP Cap and Official XP Leather Jacket. I've
          been searching Amazon but can't find it. Can anybody help?

          -H

        • Dossy
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 31, 2000
            On 2000.10.31, wecaputo@... <wecaputo@...> wrote:

            > Cool! were a cult now. Who's passing out the robes? Is there any kool-aid?

            Sorry, I think I drank it all. There's some pudding left over, right
            next to the Nike sneakers, though. Help yourself!

            Slightly more seriously, though -- at work, I refer to XP as a religion,
            which helps people understand my take on XP slightly better. For
            folks with traditional backgrounds, something as "extreme" as XP is
            hard to swallow as even being possible, let alone wildly successful,
            so when I hand them the Beck book, I tell them "think of this as reading
            the Bible. Some parts you have to just take on faith until you've
            either read through enough to appreciate it, or until you've actually
            witness it happen to yourself or a coworker."

            One business customer has already told me that he's bought 8 copies
            of the Planning Extreme Programming book for his people, and one
            developer in my group is currently reading my (only, sob) copy of
            the Extreme Programming Explained book and another is on the waiting
            list to get it next.

            It's contagious, that's what it is.

            - Dossy

            --
            Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
          • Dossy
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 31, 2000
              On 2000.10.31, Hugo Garcia <hugo.garcia@...> wrote:

              > I want an Official XP Cap and Official XP Leather Jacket. I've
              > been searching Amazon but can't find it. Can anybody help?

              Actually, XL (extra-large, you silly) black tee-shirts with the
              big "X" XP logo in white on it with "test, code, refactor" written
              on the back would make a great addition to my collection.

              (You know, the "<body>" shirt from copyleft.org, and the DES
              "it's only an algorithm" shirt from RSA.)

              - Dossy

              --
              Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
            • Phlip
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 31, 2000
                From: <wecaputo@...>

                > Cool! were a cult now. Who's passing out the robes? Is there any kool-aid?

                Real cults work you absurdly long hours. Consider the original Benedictine
                Monks - 16 hours in the fields, then they wake you up to pray at regular
                hours of the night. This leaves you too tired to think straight when they
                lecture how to not believe in yourself.

                Didn't someone say XP requires FortyHourWeeks...?

                Phlip
              • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 31, 2000
                  ( Phlip's quips: )

                  From: <wecaputo@...>
                  >> Cool! were a cult now. Who's passing out the robes? Is there any
                  kool-aid?

                  >Didn't someone say XP requires FortyHourWeeks...?

                  Yup, the cult leader did. But, I use that just for the mailing list...

                  >then they wake you up to pray at regular hours of the night.
                  You get to sleep? Bloody Favoritism!

                  Plus, I hear that Ron often calls people up at all hours, and practices the
                  Socratic method on them...
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                    At 11:49 PM 10/31/2000 -0500, Dossy wrote:
                    >Actually, XL (extra-large, you silly) black tee-shirts with the
                    >big "X" XP logo in white on it with "test, code, refactor" written
                    >on the back would make a great addition to my collection.

                    Do you mean the XP from XProgramming, or from extremeprogramming.org?

                    Just for the record, my XwiththetailP is copyrighted. I do license it
                    freely on request to XP web sites, and might make a deal for shirts, but
                    I'd consider a unilateral use of it to be a bit tacky.

                    Sounds like a cool shirt, though. Maybe I should start doing XP garments as
                    well as cards? ;->

                    www.objectmentor.com
                  • John A. Maxwell
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                      "Phlip" <phlip@...> wrote:
                      > From: <wecaputo@...>
                      >
                      > > Cool! were a cult now. Who's passing out the robes? Is there any kool-aid?
                      >
                      > Real cults work you absurdly long hours. Consider the original Benedictine
                      > Monks - 16 hours in the fields, then they wake you up to pray at regular
                      > hours of the night. This leaves you too tired to think straight when they
                      > lecture how to not believe in yourself.
                      >
                      > Didn't someone say XP requires FortyHourWeeks...?

                      Exactly. You must restrict your _outside_ money-making job to 40
                      hours/week so that you have adequate time left to devote to the Secret
                      Activities of the Cult Masters.

                      -John

                      --
                      John A. Maxwell (jmax@...)

                      The best book on programming for the layman is "Alice in Wonderland";
                      but that's because it's the best book on anything for the layman.
                    • Dossy
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                        On 2000.11.01, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                        > At 11:49 PM 10/31/2000 -0500, Dossy wrote:
                        > >Actually, XL (extra-large, you silly) black tee-shirts with the
                        > >big "X" XP logo in white on it with "test, code, refactor" written
                        > >on the back would make a great addition to my collection.
                        >
                        > Do you mean the XP from XProgramming, or from extremeprogramming.org?

                        I mean the big "X" that's on the cover of the AW XP Series books.

                        Did that make sense?

                        > Just for the record, my XwiththetailP is copyrighted. I do license it
                        > freely on request to XP web sites, and might make a deal for shirts, but
                        > I'd consider a unilateral use of it to be a bit tacky.
                        >
                        > Sounds like a cool shirt, though. Maybe I should start doing XP garments as
                        > well as cards? ;->

                        XPwear would be a big hit for me, as I work in a big corporate structure
                        where it's "business casual" but I tend to wear what I call "business
                        comfortable" -- more geek chic shirts would be a great help to my
                        wardrobe.

                        The next question: Is the "X" on the XP Series books encumbered? Who
                        owns its license, and can we get license for use? (Royalties off of
                        tee-shirt sales?)

                        - dossy

                        --
                        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
                      • Benjamin Schroeder
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                          on 11/1/00 8:42 AM, Dossy at dossy@... wrote:

                          > XPwear would be a big hit for me, as I work in a big corporate structure
                          > where it's "business casual" but I tend to wear what I call "business
                          > comfortable" -- more geek chic shirts would be a great help to my
                          > wardrobe.
                          >
                          > The next question: Is the "X" on the XP Series books encumbered? Who
                          > owns its license, and can we get license for use? (Royalties off of
                          > tee-shirt sales?)

                          I think that I saw somebody at OOPSLA with a white XP: Embrace Change
                          t-shirt (with logo from the books), but I'm not sure if it was "official" or
                          homemade.

                          ---
                          Ben Schroeder
                          schroeder@...
                        • Phlip
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                            From: "John A. Maxwell"

                            > "Phlip" <phlip@...> wrote:
                            > > From: <wecaputo@...>
                            > >
                            > > > Cool! were a cult now. Who's passing out the robes? Is there any
                            kool-aid?

                            > > Real cults work you absurdly long hours. Consider the original
                            Benedictine
                            > > Monks - 16 hours in the fields, then they wake you up to pray at
                            regular
                            > > hours of the night. This leaves you too tired to think straight when
                            they
                            > > lecture how to not believe in yourself.
                            > >
                            > > Didn't someone say XP requires FortyHourWeeks...?
                            > >
                            > Exactly. You must restrict your _outside_ money-making job to 40
                            > hours/week so that you have adequate time left to devote to the Secret
                            > Activities of the Cult Masters.

                            Man, reading this list server is tiring. I can't think straight anymore.

                            Phlip
                          • Dave Thomas
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                              Dossy <dossy@...> writes:

                              > > Do you mean the XP from XProgramming, or from extremeprogramming.org?
                              >
                              > I mean the big "X" that's on the cover of the AW XP Series books.

                              How to make that big 'X' t-shirt.

                              1. Get an egg.

                              2. Keep it for about 8 months until the inside becomes gray.

                              3. Lay your t-shirt on the sidewalk/pavement/drivement.

                              4. Drop egg from 2nd story window onto t-shirt.

                              5. Iron immediately to make the stain permanent.

                              Do not wear the resulting shirt while pairing, or in enclosed spaces.
                            • Dossy
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                On 2000.11.01, Dave Thomas <Dave@...> wrote:

                                > How to make that big 'X' t-shirt.

                                [ ... clip ... ]

                                > Do not wear the resulting shirt while pairing, or in enclosed spaces.

                                Or, if you're really disciplined, lie on your back in the middle of a
                                park under large bronze statues. Eventually, a lucky pigeon will
                                effect the correct X on your chest.

                                - Dossy

                                --
                                Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
                              • bubba99@mindspring.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                  --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Hugo Garcia <hugo.garcia@m...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I want an Official XP Cap and Official XP Leather Jacket. I've
                                  > been searching Amazon but can't find it. Can anybody help?
                                  >
                                  > -H

                                  I just want a nice shirt that says "eXtereme Programming" on the back
                                  and a nice dark one that says in spikey letters "Refactor
                                  Mercilessly"...

                                  Isn't there a decent service online somewhere where you can get
                                  customized, decent apparel?

                                  Bubba
                                • Scott Jackson
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                    I saw a fellow at the BankOfAmerica Plaza in San Francisco
                                    with an XP shirt 'Embrace Change' and 37 cents in
                                    his basket... The 'BlackHeart of the Bank' sculpture
                                    was beating rhythmically in sympathy

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                      Yes, but the 7" spikey heels and the Cat a Twelve steps
                                      really whips up your productivity...

                                      > I want an Official XP Cap and Official XP Leather Jacket. I've
                                      > been searching Amazon but can't find it. Can anybody help?
                                      >
                                      > -H

                                      I just want a nice shirt that says "eXtereme Programming" on the back
                                      and a nice dark one that says in spikey letters "Refactor
                                      Mercilessly"...

                                      Isn't there a decent service online somewhere where you can get
                                      customized, decent apparel?

                                      Bubba

                                      Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                                    • Erik Meade
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000

                                        Only one? Damn, and we gave out like 500 of them too...

                                        --
                                        Erik Meade emeade@...
                                        Senior Consultant Object Mentor, Inc.
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                          my vote is for the X from the cover of the books.

                                          Black shirt with white letters and the nova X in grey/silver.

                                          I like Dossy's ideas of : "test, code, refactor" written
                                          on the back.

                                          Although a plain back is still cool.

                                          (Can we donate the proceeds to some good cause like a paid
                                          internship for some college student in a place where they do XP?)

                                          -H

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                            Hugo Garcia <hugo.garcia@...> writes:

                                            > my vote is for the X from the cover of the books.
                                            >
                                            > Black shirt with white letters and the nova X in grey/silver.
                                            >
                                            > I like Dossy's ideas of : "test, code, refactor" written
                                            > on the back.

                                            or "I'm in a 12 practice program"
                                          • Dossy
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                              On 2000.11.01, Dave Thomas <Dave@...> wrote:
                                              > Hugo Garcia <hugo.garcia@...> writes:
                                              >
                                              > > my vote is for the X from the cover of the books.
                                              > >
                                              > > Black shirt with white letters and the nova X in grey/silver.
                                              > >
                                              > > I like Dossy's ideas of : "test, code, refactor" written
                                              > > on the back.
                                              >
                                              > or "I'm in a 12 practice program"

                                              Or, in the spirit of all the "so-and-so do it such-and-such" ...

                                              "XPers do it in Pairs"

                                              - Dossy

                                              --
                                              Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
                                            • Lea
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                                On Thursday, November 02, 2000, 1:06:01 AM, bubba99 wrote:

                                                > I just want a nice shirt that says "eXtereme Programming" on the back
                                                > and a nice dark one that says in spikey letters "Refactor
                                                > Mercilessly"...

                                                > Isn't there a decent service online somewhere where you can get
                                                > customized, decent apparel?

                                                Silly... a) Design it yourself, buy b) a plain t-shirt, and c) a
                                                t-shirt-iron-thingee. Insert c) into printer, print a) onto it and iron
                                                c) onto b).
                                                et voila!

                                                Lea mailto:leal@...
                                                --
                                              • Alan Francis
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 2, 2000
                                                  --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Dossy <dossy@p...> wrote:
                                                  > Or, in the spirit of all the "so-and-so do it such-and-such" ...
                                                  >
                                                  > "XPers do it in Pairs"

                                                  "XPers test it first" ?
                                                  "Do you have a test for that ?"
                                                  "I came, I saw, I tested"
                                                • David Browning
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 2, 2000
                                                    > --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Dossy <dossy@p...> wrote:
                                                    > > Or, in the spirit of all the "so-and-so do it such-and-such" ...
                                                    > >
                                                    > > "XPers do it in Pairs"
                                                    >
                                                    > "XPers test it first" ?
                                                    > "Do you have a test for that ?"
                                                    > "I came, I saw, I tested"

                                                    Don't want to lower the tone completely, but shouldn't that be:

                                                    "I tested, I saw, I came" ???
                                                  • Alan Francis
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 2, 2000
                                                      --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "David Browning"
                                                      <david.browning@g...> wrote:

                                                      > > "I came, I saw, I tested"
                                                      > >
                                                      > Don't want to lower the tone completely, but shouldn't that be:
                                                      >
                                                      > "I tested, I saw, I came" ???

                                                      You must write some pretty exciting tests (sorry :)

                                                      A.