Task Boards vs. Other Means

  • Milo
    Message 1 of 191 , Feb 10, 2009
      I was setting up a simple task-board for myself when my boss started
      griping. I wasn't doing anything fancy, just index cards organized
      into basic status columns of to-do, in-progress, and done. Halfway
      through I find myself getting grilled as to why I don't just use a
      spreadsheet, iCal, or even a simple text-file. I honestly couldn't
      answer. Why does a physical task-board seem so much better? Perhaps
      it's just me, but my gut feeling is that it's easier to just look up
      and see everything at a glance. But I honestly can't explain why a
      text file that's only a double-click away is any worse. Hell, I could
      be really lazy and keep the thing permanently open on another screen.

      While this particular board is for one-person only, the question could
      be extended to groups. What value does a physical task-board give a
      team that some other method does not? What might the issues be with,
      say, a computer with a large monitor in the center of the room
      containing the same information? Why does a shared wiki seem more
      cumbersome? Are a few extra clicks between you and a spreadsheet
      really so much to ask?
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 191 of 191 , Feb 20, 2009
        Milo,

        > There is definitely a breakdown in communication here. I never said
        > that employees are a threat or that people wanting to do a good job
        > are being refused. I said that SOME employees are a threat and that
        > SOME don't want to do a good job. I never said all were this way nor
        > did I say that management viewed all of them that way. I also never
        > said how prevalent the phenomenon of the bad employee was. I simply
        > said that it happens and one should not ignore that it happens.

        there is a difference between ignoring it, and conciously
        acknowledging that protecting yourself against this remote possibility
        by applying more control is going to do more damage than good.

        Cheers, Ilja