Re: Customers don't know why they called you?!!

  • Milo
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 5, 2009
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...>
      wrote:
      > Three questions:
      > * Which variety of "customer" is this. End user? The folk who purchase
      > the product? The Customer role in XP? Something else?
      > * Is the product successful?
      > * Are the customers happy?

      The statement made by my colleagues was a general one. They were not
      referring to anyone in particular.

      As for the current project, nothing has actually been created yet. So
      no, one could not say the product is successful. We have more than
      enough stories to cover several iterations. We could have delivered
      quite a bit of working software by now. But for some reason, my
      colleagues are more interested in delivering a document than software.
      They cannot explain what that document should say or why it's
      necessary, just that it needs to be done and I have to help.

      > I can certainly imagine situations where the customers (for certain
      > definitions of "customer") not knowing what they want isn't as silly
      > as it sounds.

      As I said earlier, I don't dispute that customers don't always
      understand their solution options. I'm talking about the problems that
      underlie that solution. The business reasons that incite the need for
      action.