Re: [XP] They're All A bunch Of Idiots.

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
      On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Jonathon <jgolden3@...> wrote:
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Two things: I am more interested that people are willing to try than
      >> that they are innately apt. I have seen few people really hard fail
      >> when they gave it a shot with an open mind (But then again, perhaps
      >> open-mind is "aptitude".) As I mentioned in another thread, being
      >> willing to work closely with others is a significant percentage of
      >> what makes XP work, and lacking that willingness is certainly a bar.
      >
      > Open minded is part of aptitude but there are other things. Such as:
      >
      > 1. People coming from the traditional "Developer Role" but they also
      > have a good QA mind as well.
      > 2. And the reverse of that.
      > 3. No matter what your role you have a good business acumen.
      > 4. I have more but I'm very interested in others' thoughts on this...
      >
      > However when I talk about that fellow who merely survived in a
      > waterfall shop I'm talking about someone who just doesn't have the
      > chops in (you name the category) and they are exposed by (name the
      > agile methodology). I think we need to be honest about this, some
      > people just won't fit in.

      Interesting. Could it also be that folks object to the feeling that
      they are being exposed as incompetent whether or not the underlying
      facts support this? e.g. if I am forced to pair it will expose me to
      others, therefore I must do what I can to undermine it. If that is the
      case (I believe it might be, but I'm not sure of the extent) then the
      problem is more similar to what Ron was talking about - I am aware
      that these are good practices I just can't bring myself to use them.