RE: [XP] What if code-smells were counted as "vulnerabilities"?

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 229 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi Brad,

      > Jeff Grigg wrote:
      > > --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > > > Are you missing my question, or refusing to answer it?
      > >
      > > His thinking seems to be boxed into their current process.
      >
      > Not at all. I'm the one trying to get them out of that box.
      > That's why I thought I had answered Ron's question - because
      > I'm the one trying to put the same question to them. I don't
      > think they'll ever "get a round tuit" for making those
      > changes if they just leave the code and changed and wait
      > until a "restructuring story" gets hi-enuff priority.
      >
      > And that's why I was hoping that if they had to treat them
      > similarly to how they already treat "defects" and
      > "vulnerabilities" (which they definitely jump on right-away
      > when they can) that, if faced with the option of having to
      > write-it-up-and-log-it instead of doing nothing, that it
      > might be incentive to "just fix it" instead of writing it up.

      It occurs to me that while we all discuss the goodness (a few
      folks) and badness (more, it seems) of this idea, you could
      just be trying it in some controlled way.

      Find a willing team to experiment on, set up a time frame and
      decide how to determine if it works.

      I'm pretty sure that counting smells as defects or vulnerabilities
      is not as good as fixing them, but if you see this as a way to
      get them fixed, then set up a way to measure that outcome.

      Charlie
    • Brad Appleton
      Message 229 of 229 , Feb 2, 2009
        Charlie Poole wrote:
        > It occurs to me that while we all discuss the goodness (a few
        > folks) and badness (more, it seems) of this idea, you could
        > just be trying it in some controlled way.

        I was having similar thoughts :-)

        > Find a willing team to experiment on, set up a time frame and
        > decide how to determine if it works.

        It's the "Find a willing team" piece that I need to tackle first. I need
        to be a bit careful how I do it because I already lost some "creds" in
        the first battle and now have the "perfectionist fanatical zealot"
        filter I have to break thru when trying to find such a team. And if it
        does turn out badly, that will do even more damage. I'm not sure I want
        to risk that unless I think there is at least a decent chance it will work.

        I guess my own professional interests would be best-served if I didnt
        try to intervene and wait until they fall on their face (even if it's
        not what is best for the business [sigh])

        --
        Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>