Re: [XP] The Whole Enchilada

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 87 , Feb 1, 2009
      On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Mary Poppendieck <maryp@...> wrote:
      > Hi Laurent,
      >
      > I'm with Josh on this. I see lots of floundering Scrum initiatives,
      > typically due to the assumption that essential technical practices will
      > be discovered by "the team" and they are not. Can you explain where the
      > incentive would come from to write up the stories? Why bother?

      I think a lot of this comes from a misunderstanding of what it means
      to have "self organizing teams." We asked a bunch of idiots to
      self-organize and they've yet to come up with anything brilliant! What
      are we doing wrong?

      I worked for a boss who insisted on allowing teams to decide for
      themselves. He hired a couple of people with Agile experience and put
      them in marginal positions. Then he wondered why Agile practices
      weren't spreading! If good ideas are like viruses then some teams have
      hearty immune systems.

      Oddly, if you put a group of people together who aren't Agile they
      will continue not to be Agile despite the passage of time.
    • Brad Appleton
      Message 87 of 87 , Feb 7, 2009
        Thanks Charlie for the thoughts and advice!