Re: OT: Looking for something new to fiddle with

  • jaredhirsch
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2009
      Two thoughts:

      (1) How about going inward instead of outward? Maybe
      spend some time refactoring an existing/stale C#
      project to recultivate the love of poetry which is,
      ultimately, no more tied to any programming language
      than human poetry is tied to any natural language.

      (2) I suggest the oldies: the Smalltalk 'blue book',
      or the LISP 1.5 manual. Both are (I believe) free at
      ACM's 'classics' website. If you ever wanted to really,
      really learn Smalltalk, the blue book is the way to
      go. It's the Moby Dick of computer documentation.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wheeler
      <christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:

      > Hey everybody,
      >
      > I'm looking to scratch an itch right now, so I'm throwing this
      question out
      > there: What language/technology/tool are you playing with in your
      spare time
      > that you find cool? I'm bored of ruby, and do C#, VB professionally
      and am
      > wondering what to spend some spare time dabbling. Weird as it seems,
      I'd had
      > a bit of a hankering to revisit C lately, don't know why, and maybe
      explore
      > Objective-C on my Mac. But, what are some of you guys and girls
      dabbling in
      > these days?
      >
      > Chris.

    • Georg Tuparev
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 6, 2009
        Hi Chris,

        On Jan 29, 2009, at 1:48 AM, Chris Wheeler wrote:

        > Hey everybody,
        >
        > I'm looking to scratch an itch right now, so I'm throwing this
        > question out
        > there: What language/technology/tool are you playing with in your
        > spare time
        > that you find cool? I'm bored of ruby, and do C#, VB professionally
        > and am
        > wondering what to spend some spare time dabbling. Weird as it seems,
        > I'd had
        > a bit of a hankering to revisit C lately, don't know why, and maybe
        > explore
        > Objective-C on my Mac. But, what are some of you guys and girls
        > dabbling in
        > these days?

        I vote for Objective-C. But get a beta of Snow Leopard. There the
        language got some really neat features for parallel computing, and if
        you like Ruby you will love them - because they are not only elegant,
        but fast like hell. Oh, one extra point for Obj-C. It could not only
        scratch an itch, but fill a pocket too. Think iPhone :-)

        cheers

        -- georg --

        "Computers are useless. They only give you answers."
        Pablo Picasso
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 6, 2009
          >> I'm looking to scratch an itch right now, so I'm throwing this
          >> question out
          >> there: What language/technology/tool are you playing with in your
          >> spare time
          >> that you find cool?

          Merb. Rails 3 is going to use it as its new kernel. (Big industry secret - Ruby
          and TDD are so fine that Rails changed the website sector despite having a
          sucktacular core!)

          Merb is currently experiencing more growth pains than adoption, so it is always
          "fun" to try to figure out how some gizmo inside it works. Today.

          --
          Phlip
        • Arnaud Bailly
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 8, 2009
            Georg Tuparev <gtupar@...> writes:

            > Hi Chris,
            >
            > On Jan 29, 2009, at 1:48 AM, Chris Wheeler wrote:
            >
            >> Hey everybody,
            >>
            >> I'm looking to scratch an itch right now, so I'm throwing this
            >> question out
            >> there: What language/technology/tool are you playing with in your
            >> spare time
            >> that you find cool? I'm bored of ruby, and do C#, VB professionally
            >> and am
            >> wondering what to spend some spare time dabbling. Weird as it seems,
            >> I'd had
            >> a bit of a hankering to revisit C lately, don't know why, and maybe
            >> explore
            >> Objective-C on my Mac. But, what are some of you guys and girls
            >> dabbling in
            >> these days?

            Functional programming:
            - haskell if you are prepared to change your vision of the world
            - scala if you are a java guy
            - F# if you are .net guy

            --
            Arnaud Bailly, PhD
            OQube <génie logiciel / software engineering>
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 8, 2009
              Rediscover javascript.
              Write a web application using Jaxer.
              Create a javascript binding for an existing java app, using jquery
              learn extjs
              or come to enjoy javascript as more than "that dirty scripting
              language people are sloppy with because they think that's the way it
              is" ;)

              Here's a start:

              var s = (function incrementor(start){
              return function(number){