Dealing with new manager concerns

  • Extreme Programming Lab
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 31 9:37 AM
      The manager who sponsored our XP project was canned and our CTO is in the
      process of deciding how to reorganize our department. He likes bits and
      pieces of the XP process, but he has the following concerns:
      1. He doesn't think that anything with the name 'Extreme' can be
      successful.
      2. He doesn't want to force anyone to work in groups if their comfort zone
      is their own cube.
      3. He doesn't want to use a process that requires the programmers to look
      up how to do the process.

      We have been really successful doing XP and would like to continue the
      process.
      Any thoughts on how we can overcome our managers concerns?

      The Extreme Programmers,
      Jaimme and John ;)
    • John Brewer
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 1, 2000
        Don't let the fact that people can't (or won't) pair keep you from
        enjoying the benefits of the other 11 practices of XP.

        Understand what you're giving up, though. You'll probably need to
        have technical reviews to keep code quality up. And people will be
        much more likely to waste time on "rabbit trails" while coding. And
        you'll have to monitor more for people going off process (not testing
        and integrating enough, for example).

        XP minus pairing is less good than full XP. But XP minus pairing is
        probably substantially better than what you're doing today.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Extreme Programming Lab