The Whole Enchilada

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 87 , Jan 30, 2009
      Flaccid Scrum? The Decline and Fall of Agile?
      More evidence that organizations and development communities need a Whole
      Enchilada -- managerial and technical agility, not just one or the other.

      The idea that "they will just evolve to adopt the technical stuff" is, in my
      humble opinion and experience, a naive assumption. Most of the time, that
      adoption either doesn't happen or happens so haphazardly that it is as if it
      never happened at all.

      Scrum out of the box says nothing about technical agility. It is like
      selling a car without seat belts and other critical safety features. You
      need to be lucky enough to know the right Scrum people who will tell you
      that you need the technical stuff too (though even they make believe in this
      "later adoption phase" idea).

      XP (which, as we on this list know, is way more than just technical
      practices), Scurm+XP, IndustrialXP, etc., are examples of Whole Enchiladas.

      We find again and again that organizations and development communities are
      far better off beginning with Whole Enchiladas then waiting for them to
      discover how utterly insufficient their agile process is.

      Of course, not every organization and development community needs a Whole
      Enchilada or could succeed with it. Yet many do need it and can succeed
      with it. A decade of experience has shown us that.

      So we need to acknowledge that good processes address critical things and
      technical agility is most definitely a critical thing in software
      development. It is ill-advised to defer it to a later adoption phase.

      --
      best regards,
      jk

      Industrial Logic, Inc.
      Joshua Kerievsky
      Founder, Extreme Programmer & Coach
      --
      Check out my latest albums on Design Patterns in Java & C++:
      https://elearning.industriallogic.com/gh/submit?Action=BrowseAlbumsAction

    • Brad Appleton
      Message 87 of 87 , Feb 7, 2009
        Thanks Charlie for the thoughts and advice!