Re: [XP] What about Scrum + CI + Automated-Tests?

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 49 , Dec 25, 2008
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > > If we had some sort of "average" backlog-item size (a semi-nebulous unit
      > > of time) then amount of those per unit time might be an improvement over
      > > what is used today.
      >
      > Pick one?

      Would that it were my call. Actually, I did do this for my own
      department. For other groups in the organization, all I can do is
      recommend. I tend to base my recommendation based largely on what they
      are currently using and familiar with that might work.

      One group uses MkII function points with great success. Another uses
      "use-cases", but with a constraint on the "size" of the use-case (which
      look ssuspiciously like it would have to be no bigger then could fit on
      an index-card of a certain size :-). Yet another group insists on using
      "shall" statements in their formal reqts specs, and so uses shall-stmts
      implemented. Another uses test-cases. Another makes use of model-driven
      code, and whether code is generated or hand-crafted, they can generate a
      corresponding UML model for it. And they use #of model elements implemented.

      All of which basically goes to prove your original point of "pick one".
      Any suitable "proxy" will do as long as it has some reasonable
      relationship to amount of functionality (or even effort) rather than
      amount of code.

      --
      Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>
    • Brad Appleton