Announcing Google C++ Mocking Framework

  • Zhanyong Wan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2008
      Five months ago we open-sourced Google C++ Testing Framework to help
      C++ developers write better tests. Enthusiastic users have embraced it
      and sent in numerous encouraging comments and suggestions, as well as
      patches to make it more useful. It was a truly gratifying experience
      for us.

      Today, we are excited to release Google C++ Mocking Framework (Google
      Mock for short, http://code.google.com/p/googlemock/) under the new
      BSD license. When used with Google Test, it lets you easily create and
      use mock objects in C++ tests and rapid prototypes. If you aren't sure
      what mocks are or why you'll need them, our Why Google Mock? article
      (http://code.google.com/p/googlemock/wiki/ForDummies) will help
      explain why this is so exciting, and the Testing on the Toilet episode
      posted nearby on this blog gives a more light-hearted overview. In
      short, this technique can greatly improve the design and testability
      of software systems, as shown in this OOPSLA paper
      (http://www.jmock.org/oopsla2004.pdf).

      We are happily using Google Mock in more than 100 projects at
      Google. It works on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. Its benefits
      include:

      * Simple, declarative syntax for defining mocks
      * Rich set of matchers for validating function arguments
      * Intuitive syntax for controlling the behavior of a mock
      * Automatic verification of expectations
      * Easy extensibility through new user-defined matchers and actions

      Our users inside Google have appreciated that Google Mock is easy and
      even fun to use, and is an effective tool for improving software
      quality. We hope you'll like it too. Interested? Please take a few
      minutes to read the documentation
      (http://code.google.com/p/googlemock/w/list) and download Google Mock
      (http://code.google.com/p/googlemock/downloads/list). Be warned,
      though: mocking is addictive, so proceed at your own risk.

      And... we'd love to hear from you! If you have any questions or
      feedback, please meet us on the Google Mock Discussion Group
      (http://groups.google.com/group/googlemock). Happy mocking!

      --
      Zhanyong Wan
      Software Engineer