Re: [XP] Re: Need advice preparing the waters for XP

  • Pieter Nagel
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 5, 2008
      On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 17:53 +0000, banshee858 wrote:

      > Get ready for some hard feedback - I think you are being too solution
      > oriented. I suspect you do not understand what your organization
      > really wants, but are intent on giving XP as the solution because that
      > is what you want to do.

      As far as I understand it, the organization's wants to overtake
      competitors again, which will require a reversal of the development
      slowdown; insight and oversight into what is going on in development;
      and the ability for more in-house domain experts to contribute to
      product development.

      I believe XP can give us all that.

      There's also growing awareness of the issue of technical debt and how it
      relates to the slowdown in development, and awareness that paying down
      the debt is the only viable long-term survival strategy. When the
      sponsor realized that I didn't want to "close up shop" to "clean up the
      system for a year" but instead wanted to pay down debt incrementally,
      focussing on the debt with highest impact on business value, whilst
      continuing to develop new features, the lightbulb lit up.

      But these are all issues I'm still doing a lot of talking around,
      because I do want to make very sure the organization knows what we'll be
      embarking on.