automating screen capture for help documentation

  • D. André Dhondt
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
      Anyone use a tool that, ideally, integrates into an ANT build to capture
      full screens or specific panels of a Java/Swing app, so that our help
      documentation maintenance will be simpler? We keep adding widgets, changing
      icons, etc., and the manual screen grabs are NO fun!

      (I know, I know, the fact that we have docs suggest that maybe this thing is
      not as usable as it should, but I promise the manual is very short and the
      product actually is quite easy to use--it's just that it's a COTS product
      and the business felt it didn't seem like a polished, professional tool
      without some documentation! Business value!!!)

      Thanks in advance!

      --
      D. André Dhondt

    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
        Yes, using JDemo: http://www.jdemo.de (see
        http://www.jdemo.de/docs/pdf/index.html#toc7.5.3 )

        In fact, all the screenshots in the JDemo documentation are created
        using JDemo, of course.

        Cheers, Ilja

        2008/12/4 D. André Dhondt <d.andre.dhondt@...>:
        > Anyone use a tool that, ideally, integrates into an ANT build to capture
        > full screens or specific panels of a Java/Swing app, so that our help
        > documentation maintenance will be simpler? We keep adding widgets, changing
        > icons, etc., and the manual screen grabs are NO fun!
        >
        > (I know, I know, the fact that we have docs suggest that maybe this thing is
        > not as usable as it should, but I promise the manual is very short and the
        > product actually is quite easy to use--it's just that it's a COTS product
        > and the business felt it didn't seem like a polished, professional tool
        > without some documentation! Business value!!!)
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        >
        > --
        > D. André Dhondt

      • Ilja Preuß
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
          Yes, using JDemo: http://www.jdemo.de (see
          http://www.jdemo.de/docs/pdf/index.html#toc7.5.3 )

          In fact, all the screenshots in the JDemo documentation are created
          using JDemo, of course.

          Cheers, Ilja

          2008/12/4 D. André Dhondt <d.andre.dhondt@...>:
          > Anyone use a tool that, ideally, integrates into an ANT build to capture
          > full screens or specific panels of a Java/Swing app, so that our help
          > documentation maintenance will be simpler? We keep adding widgets, changing
          > icons, etc., and the manual screen grabs are NO fun!
          >
          > (I know, I know, the fact that we have docs suggest that maybe this thing is
          > not as usable as it should, but I promise the manual is very short and the
          > product actually is quite easy to use--it's just that it's a COTS product
          > and the business felt it didn't seem like a polished, professional tool
          > without some documentation! Business value!!!)
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          >
          > --
          > D. André Dhondt

        • D. André Dhondt
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
            Wow, that's perfect, thank you Ilja!

            On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Ilja Preuß <iljapreuss@...>wrote:

            > Yes, using JDemo: http://www.jdemo.de (see
            > http://www.jdemo.de/docs/pdf/index.html#toc7.5.3 )
            >
            > In fact, all the screenshots in the JDemo documentation are created
            > using JDemo, of course.
            >
            > Cheers, Ilja
            >
            > 2008/12/4 D. André Dhondt <d.andre.dhondt@...<d.andre.dhondt%40gmail.com>
            > >:
            >
            > > Anyone use a tool that, ideally, integrates into an ANT build to capture
            > > full screens or specific panels of a Java/Swing app, so that our help
            > > documentation maintenance will be simpler? We keep adding widgets,
            > changing
            > > icons, etc., and the manual screen grabs are NO fun!
            > >
            > > (I know, I know, the fact that we have docs suggest that maybe this thing
            > is
            > > not as usable as it should, but I promise the manual is very short and
            > the
            > > product actually is quite easy to use--it's just that it's a COTS product
            > > and the business felt it didn't seem like a polished, professional tool
            > > without some documentation! Business value!!!)
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance!
            > >
            > > --
            > > D. André Dhondt

            D. André Dhondt
            mobile: 001 33 671 034 984

          • D. André Dhondt
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
              I forgot about our integration with downstream products, and upstream
              products, so we'll also need another tool. Anyone using tools like JDemo to
              capture eclipse plug-in windows, or to capture views of 3rd party windows
              too?

              Thanks again, everyone!

              --
              D. André Dhondt
              mobile: 001 33 671 034 984

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
                Ilja Preuß ha scritto:

                > Yes, using JDemo: http://www.jdemo.de <http://www.jdemo.de> (see
                > http://www.jdemo.de/docs/pdf/index.html#toc7.5.3
                > <http://www.jdemo.de/docs/pdf/index.html#toc7.5.3> )

                something like that for C/C++ (mainly I use C++ Builder)?