Re: [XP] Distributed Retrospectives

  • Pete Johns
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2008
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "dwoldrich" <dwoldrich@...>
      wrote:

      > Declan, please try http://CardMeeting.com
      >
      > CardMeeting works well when paired with a conference call for managing
      > a distributed retrospective. I'd be interested to hear if it can do
      > the job for you.
      >
      > Shameless plug disclaimer, CardMeeting is my website. ;)

      Dave,

      Thank you so much for this!

      We had found attendees in remote offices could not participate fully
      in the retros over the telephone or the video link, especially with
      Post-It notes being stuck to a whiteboard that they couldn't see and
      couldn't add to. Even when the facilitator has offered to act as a
      proxy to stick notes on the board, the remote attendees haven't taken
      them up on this.

      So... this iteration we used CardMeeting. The 'meeting' was open the
      day before the actual retro and participants were invited to place
      their cards into the meeting. This meant that our retrospective was
      easier to facilitate and easier to follow for people not in the
      meeting room. Everyone was in agreement that this made our
      retrospective more productive. For the next iteration, the meeting
      will be available throughout the iteration so people can post their
      thoughts while they are fresh in their mind.

      Being able to export to an Excel spreadsheet is great, too. It means
      that the 'board' can be stored with the retro action items in our wiki.

      This is a particularly useful tool, so thank you again!

      --paj