Re: [XP] Agile toolset questions (particularly code inspections....)

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
      On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Craig A <tabmow99@...> wrote:
      > lol... Good point - my mistake. Sorry. So *other* than pair
      > programming, does anyone have any suggestions on what tools they've used?

      I believe that process change and augmentation (including the
      introduction of new tools) should be driven by the problems currently
      being experiences. Why waste time and effort (and possibly disrupt a
      good rhythm) to fix something that is not even broken? So, what code
      quality problems is your team experiencing?

      What does the team believe the root causes of these specific problems
      are? Was the problematic code written by pair programming doing test
      driven development? If not, why not apply those practices before
      looking to a tool to be a silver bullet? If so, was it always a
      single pair that worked on each problematic section code? If not, why
      not try switching pairs more often? Was YAGNI followed? Was
      refactoring done on every TDD cycle?

      Only if after root cause analysis does the team honestly believe they
      are following the practices as well as they can should they look to a
      tool to help (unless the team believes the tool is essential for doing
      root cause analysis).

      Steven Gordon
    • Craig A
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
        It is a human process, and we do have automated tools doing static analysis,
        but using a tool helps facilitate the human process of doing quick code
        inspections. A good tool doesn't have to introduce a lot of overhead.

        > Isn't code inspection a human process, not a tool process?
        >
        > Ron Jeffries
        > www.XProgramming.com
        > www.xprogramming.com/blog
        > Think! -- Aretha Franklin

      • agileprog
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
          Again, not a tool but human process. How about setting up a coding
          Dojo in your team/company? This provides the settings for sharing the
          know-how and discussing code quality in a relaxed (in the sense of:
          not related to an actual project) environment.

          http://www.codingdojo.org

          <tabmow99@...<tabmow99%40gmail.com>>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Hi all,
          > > > We've been using scrum for a while now, and are investigating a few
          > > > different toolsets to solve some of the things we wanted
          addressed. One
          > > > toolset we've been looking at is the Atlassian toolset (ie. JIRA
          > > > w/Greenhopper for story management/etc, Confluence, Crucible,
          etc) and
          > > I'm
          > > > really liking using Crucible for code inspections. However, it
          has a few
          > > > shortcomings that won't be addressed in the short term, so I was
          just
          > > > wondering what types of toolsets (or more specifically: what
          tool for
          > > code
          > > > inspections) other folks were using out there?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Craig.

        • Bill Michell
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
            For Java, I use Findbugs. Might not be quite what you're after, but as a
            free tool for static code analysis with good Eclipse and Ant
            integration, it is great.

            Occasional false positives, but it was Findbugs that got me to research
            why the double-checked locking idiom for lazy instantiation was a bad
            idea...

            Just like pairing with the combined wisdom of thousands of experts, all
            the time.

            --
            Bill Michell
            Development Team Leader, Broadcast Platforms, BBC FM&T (Journalism).

            wrote:

            > Uh... you CC'd the XP list. So, Pair Programming.
            >

            > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Craig A
            <tabmow99@...<tabmow99%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            > > Hi all,
            > > We've been using scrum for a while now, and are investigating a few
            > > different toolsets to solve some of the things we wanted addressed.
            One
            > > toolset we've been looking at is the Atlassian toolset (ie. JIRA
            > > w/Greenhopper for story management/etc, Confluence, Crucible, etc)
            and
            > I'm
            > > really liking using Crucible for code inspections. However, it has a
            few
            > > shortcomings that won't be addressed in the short term, so I was
            just
            > > wondering what types of toolsets (or more specifically: what tool
            for
            > code
            > > inspections) other folks were using out there?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Craig.

            http://www.bbc.co.uk/
          • Craig A
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
              Appreciate the info - I'm aware of coding dojo's but I don't think it would
              work for our purposes here - we have a large team which is a mix of
              employees and external contractors, and all very geographically diverse.
              We could improve things for the employees, but tough to mandate something
              like this on external contractors, where part of the concern is. But a
              valid idea.

              Thanks.

              --
              Craig.