Re: [XP] Agile toolset questions (particularly code inspections....)

  • agileprog
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
      A minor correction: "*Craig*, It seems that ..."

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "agileprog" <alexlevin@...>

      <http://javadots.blogspot.com/2008/11/mythbusting-part-3-inherent-parado\
      > x.html> where the author criticizes static structural analysis tools.
      > This led to an intense discussion.
      >
      > The discussion there is somewhat analogous to this one. How much do we
      > trust tools? Are we willing to accept the fact that human reasoning
      > cannot be replaced by an automatic tool?
      >
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Sroka" <adam.sroka@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Uh... you CC'd the XP list. So, Pair Programming.
      > >
      > > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Craig A tabmow99@ wrote:
      > > > Hi all,
      > > > We've been using scrum for a while now, and are investigating a few
      > > > different toolsets to solve some of the things we wanted addressed.
      > One
      > > > toolset we've been looking at is the Atlassian toolset (ie. JIRA
      > > > w/Greenhopper for story management/etc, Confluence, Crucible, etc)
      > and I'm
      > > > really liking using Crucible for code inspections. However, it has a
      > few
      > > > shortcomings that won't be addressed in the short term, so I was
      > just
      > > > wondering what types of toolsets (or more specifically: what tool
      > for code
      > > > inspections) other folks were using out there?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Craig.

    • David Bogus
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
        In addition to pairing, frequently rotating pairs can mean that most
        of the teams sees most of the code.

        I feel one should have discussions about what is "good" code only
        with code in front of them. As the different pairs decided the own
        mini "good code standards" with rotation I find that teams converge to
        a "single good code standard". This combined with shared code
        formatter settings helps keep the disagreements about productive
        issues rather then stylistic issues.

        I like to run static tools as part of a Continuous Integration
        process. I like Simian for detecting duplication. If you keep a big
        visible chart of its metrics the team can decided when enough is
        enough and do something about it.

        http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au/products/simian/overview.html

        Dave

        On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Craig A <tabmow99@...> wrote:
        > lol... Good point - my mistake. Sorry. So *other* than pair
        > programming, does anyone have any suggestions on what tools they've used?
        >
        > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Uh... you CC'd the XP list. So, Pair Programming.
        >>

        >> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Craig A
        >> <tabmow99@...<tabmow99%40gmail.com>>
        >> wrote:
        >> > Hi all,
        >> > We've been using scrum for a while now, and are investigating a few
        >> > different toolsets to solve some of the things we wanted addressed. One
        >> > toolset we've been looking at is the Atlassian toolset (ie. JIRA
        >> > w/Greenhopper for story management/etc, Confluence, Crucible, etc) and
        >> I'm
        >> > really liking using Crucible for code inspections. However, it has a few
        >> > shortcomings that won't be addressed in the short term, so I was just
        >> > wondering what types of toolsets (or more specifically: what tool for
        >> code
        >> > inspections) other folks were using out there?
        >> >
        >> > Thanks,
        >> > Craig.

        Dave's Definitions: Morning, is after I've slept for more than four
        hours. Lunch is the second meal of the day no matter the hour of
        consumption. A long drive is one longer then you have last slept.
        Ineffable, if you don't understand I couldn't possibly explain it.
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
          Hello, Craig. On Tuesday, December 2, 2008, at 8:47:20 AM, you
          wrote:

          > lol... Good point - my mistake. Sorry. So *other* than pair
          > programming, does anyone have any suggestions on what tools they've used?

          Isn't code inspection a human process, not a tool process?

          www.xprogramming.com/blog
          Think! -- Aretha Franklin
        • Steven Gordon
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
            On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Craig A <tabmow99@...> wrote:
            > lol... Good point - my mistake. Sorry. So *other* than pair
            > programming, does anyone have any suggestions on what tools they've used?

            I believe that process change and augmentation (including the
            introduction of new tools) should be driven by the problems currently
            being experiences. Why waste time and effort (and possibly disrupt a
            good rhythm) to fix something that is not even broken? So, what code
            quality problems is your team experiencing?

            What does the team believe the root causes of these specific problems
            are? Was the problematic code written by pair programming doing test
            driven development? If not, why not apply those practices before
            looking to a tool to be a silver bullet? If so, was it always a
            single pair that worked on each problematic section code? If not, why
            not try switching pairs more often? Was YAGNI followed? Was
            refactoring done on every TDD cycle?

            Only if after root cause analysis does the team honestly believe they
            are following the practices as well as they can should they look to a
            tool to help (unless the team believes the tool is essential for doing
            root cause analysis).

            Steven Gordon
          • Craig A
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
              It is a human process, and we do have automated tools doing static analysis,
              but using a tool helps facilitate the human process of doing quick code
              inspections. A good tool doesn't have to introduce a lot of overhead.

              > Isn't code inspection a human process, not a tool process?
              >
              > Ron Jeffries
              > www.XProgramming.com
              > www.xprogramming.com/blog
              > Think! -- Aretha Franklin

            • agileprog
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                Again, not a tool but human process. How about setting up a coding
                Dojo in your team/company? This provides the settings for sharing the
                know-how and discussing code quality in a relaxed (in the sense of:
                not related to an actual project) environment.

                http://www.codingdojo.org

                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Craig A" <tabmow99@...> wrote:

                > lol... Good point - my mistake. Sorry. So *other* than pair
                > programming, does anyone have any suggestions on what tools they've
                used?

                > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Uh... you CC'd the XP list. So, Pair Programming.
                > >

                > > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Craig A
                <tabmow99@...<tabmow99%40gmail.com>>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Hi all,
                > > > We've been using scrum for a while now, and are investigating a few
                > > > different toolsets to solve some of the things we wanted
                addressed. One
                > > > toolset we've been looking at is the Atlassian toolset (ie. JIRA
                > > > w/Greenhopper for story management/etc, Confluence, Crucible,
                etc) and
                > > I'm
                > > > really liking using Crucible for code inspections. However, it
                has a few
                > > > shortcomings that won't be addressed in the short term, so I was
                just
                > > > wondering what types of toolsets (or more specifically: what
                tool for
                > > code
                > > > inspections) other folks were using out there?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > Craig.

              • Bill Michell
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
                  For Java, I use Findbugs. Might not be quite what you're after, but as a
                  free tool for static code analysis with good Eclipse and Ant
                  integration, it is great.

                  Occasional false positives, but it was Findbugs that got me to research
                  why the double-checked locking idiom for lazy instantiation was a bad
                  idea...

                  Just like pairing with the combined wisdom of thousands of experts, all
                  the time.

                  --
                  Bill Michell
                  Development Team Leader, Broadcast Platforms, BBC FM&T (Journalism).

                  wrote:

                  > Uh... you CC'd the XP list. So, Pair Programming.
                  >

                  > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Craig A
                  <tabmow99@...<tabmow99%40gmail.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Hi all,
                  > > We've been using scrum for a while now, and are investigating a few
                  > > different toolsets to solve some of the things we wanted addressed.
                  One
                  > > toolset we've been looking at is the Atlassian toolset (ie. JIRA
                  > > w/Greenhopper for story management/etc, Confluence, Crucible, etc)
                  and
                  > I'm
                  > > really liking using Crucible for code inspections. However, it has a
                  few
                  > > shortcomings that won't be addressed in the short term, so I was
                  just
                  > > wondering what types of toolsets (or more specifically: what tool
                  for
                  > code
                  > > inspections) other folks were using out there?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Craig.

                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/
                • Craig A
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
                    Appreciate the info - I'm aware of coding dojo's but I don't think it would
                    work for our purposes here - we have a large team which is a mix of
                    employees and external contractors, and all very geographically diverse.
                    We could improve things for the employees, but tough to mandate something
                    like this on external contractors, where part of the concern is. But a
                    valid idea.

                    Thanks.

                    --
                    Craig.