Re: [XP] Can one become "Too agile"?

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 89 , Dec 2, 2008
      Lior Friedman wrote:
      > I know that agile is all about change and I do think a team should be
      > prepared for making changes, but still in my opinion no matter what you do
      > change (in most cases) does not come at zero cost,
      > and if one keeps on changing too fast you end up paying that cost without
      > delivering real value.

      I would suggest that Agile is /not/ about change, but is about using
      /feedback/ to control the process to produce the output you want. (See,
      also, http://blog.gdinwiddie.com/2006/12/16/its-all-about-feedback/)
      Using this feedback /allows/ us to change more rapidly, but it doesn't
      requires us to do so. And the feedback would tell us that thrashing the
      requirements and the team makeup has a cost--a big cost--even if we
      didn't already know these things.

      > So coming back to my original question,
      >
      > I guess I was aiming at knowing how can agile practices (and maybe
      > principles) can be taken to the point in which they doing more damage than
      > good.

      I think when they're done incompletely, as you describe pushing change
      without the skills and practices that allow us to master that change.

      - George

    • John Levy
      Message 89 of 89 , Jan 23, 2009
        Lior--

        [this is late, but...]

        There is another word for the type of "agility" you describe:
        lability. This is used in chemistry to describe molecules that easily
        detach and re-form in different combinations. Also in psychology for
        easily-changing moods.

        What you observed sounds like a labile organization that is not
        achieving what the Agile principles are all about: business value
        delivered in spite of changing external conditions. One of the
        metrics I use for agile teams is related to stability of the team
        itself. Perhaps there should be another for stability of the business
        plans as reflected in the release plans and other business objectives.

        Sounds to me as if some of the business managers need a wake up call
        or knock on the head. Yes, they are too labile ("agile").

        --John
        -----
        John Levy, PhD
        415 663-1818
        info@...

        Managing product development for speed and innovation

        http://johnlevyconsulting.com