Re: [XP] Your chance to influence how agile is defined in an upcoming IEEE-standard

  • Gary Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
      Erik,

      I don't mean to shoot the messenger, but please don your kevlar and duck!

      How many of the following people are invited?

      Kent Beck
      Mike Beedle
      Arie van Bennekum
      Alistair Cockburn
      Ward Cunningham
      Martin Fowler
      James Grenning
      Jim Highsmith
      Andrew Hunt
      Ron Jeffries
      Jon Kern
      Brian Marick
      Robert C. Martin
      Steve Mellor
      Ken Schwaber
      Jeff Sutherland
      Dave Thomas

      Do you or the folks intending to define Agile in an upcoming IEEE standard
      understand that there is no Agile software development method? Agile is an
      umbrella concept for the defined software development methods, that adhere
      to the Agile Manifesto and the Agile Principles.

      The actual defined Agile software development methods are already well
      documented by Lean Software Development, Scrum, and Extreme Programming,
      among others.

      Who is convinced by discussing how much documentation, what the maifiesto
      really means, what Agile is good for, what good Agile does?

      People adopt Agile one by one. Those with safety-critical requirements
      would be well served by adopting Agile. A thoughtful review of the defined
      Agile software development methods may suffice.

      Hard-nosed Waterfall-ish government bodies deserve and sustain their fate.
      A thoughtful review of the defined Agile software development methods may
      release them from their bondage.

      Auditors are Customers of the software development process. If they have a
      requirement, write the story.

      If those who would be influenced by an official IEEE version of Agile, need
      a new definition, what is to be different from what the original authors
      defined?

      What is the weather like in Finnish Lapland this time of year?!?

      GB.

      First, do no harm ...
      The Hippocratic Oath.