Re: [XP] Re: Pair Debugging

  • Manuel Klimek
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 22, 2008
      On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:
      > Mark Needham wrote:
      >
      >> I've been working with XP for just over two years, pairing nearly the
      >> whole
      >> time but one of the areas where I have yet to see it used effectively is
      >> when debugging a problem as a pair.
      >
      > Imagine Pair Googling.
      >
      > Each pair would want to try different search terms, then click on different
      > citations. You might as well Google on two platforms. (Or just invent the
      > elusive "dual keyboard desktop" that should be coming along any decade now.)
      >
      > Pair Debugging is like that. It's an open-ended search for a bug, not a
      > narrowing search for a design. And it's frustrating.

      I find pair debugging very useful, especially for highly
      multi-threaded distributed systems.
      Usually such a session starts by me saying "!$&%, I have no idea why
      that test failed... can someone lend me a brain here?", and a
      colleague coming over saying: "ok, what happened?". Then we sit down
      and brainstorm ideas. Worked pretty well for me.

      Cheers,
      /Manuel

      --
      http://klimek.box4.net