Re: [XP] energized work and individual contributions

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21 8:58 AM
      On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 9:32 AM, D. André Dhondt
      <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
      > It's hard to answer with a boolean, but yes, I think the team provides a
      > safe enough environment to respond to this accurately. It may be safer to
      > reduce the scale to "not confident", "comfortable", "expert".

      Probably need to include "don't know".

      > We haven't
      > decided whether these ratings would be done individually, one-on-one with
      > the team's manager, or as a group voting to show what they think their
      > colleagues are strong at...

      I suggest a "360 degree" review (by web surveys to save time),
      including the primary customer and at least some representation from
      stakeholders for the non-technical components. Person-to-person
      followups to verify "outliers" would be wise.

      Anything else has a greater potential to allow politics or popularity
      to taint the data.

      Whatever you do in this regard, I suggest you do it frequently as
      opposed to once or twice a year so that:
      - people get good at doing it quickly,
      - the data represents specific behaviour instead of just impressions
      built up over time,
      - trends can be tracked, and
      - problems can be caught and addressed early.

      I suspect my suggestions extend the intended scope somewhat, but if
      the environment supports capturing this information, then why not
      leverage it to help people improve and support risk management.
      Please, let us know how it works out.