Re: [XP] Your favourite .NET MVC/ORM enabled web Framework?

  • todd0624
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11 3:10 AM
      This email is a little late given the discussion. But given some of
      the omissions I thought I summarise my known list. It certainly isn't
      exhaustive.

      There are a number of options. If your team is going down that line
      you/they should be aware of the Alt.Net community. Most of the answers
      already exist in podcast form on either Hanselminutes.com or
      altnetpodcast.com. Here's a starting list.

      MVC frameworks:
      * asp.net mvc (arrived in 3.5 SP1)
      * monorail (castleproject.org)
      * you can also use Default Generic Handlers to get results with
      Javascript clients such as Extjs or JQuery (note microsoft is
      officially using JQuery now)
      * I also noticed two others on wikipedia that I have no experience
      of: maverick.NET, promesh.NET

      ORMs:
      * NHibernate
      * Castle ActiveRecord
      * LLBGen
      * Subsonic
      * LINQ (to SQL)
      * LinqToEntity (still be released - see debate on alt.net)
      * Microsoft has another db -> rest mapper too (I forget)

      Also, as others have pointed out, if you are going down this route you
      probably want to also be aware of:

      (a) the different IOC containers available (see podcasts for good review)
      - Microsoft one already mentioned (forget name)
      - Ninject
      - Castle
      - Spring.NET
      - StructureMap

      (b) different TDD & BDD frameworks and mocking
      - NUnit
      - MSUnit
      - xUnit.net

      - storyq
      - fluentspec (just mentioned on this list)
      - nBehave
      - Specter

      - moqu
      - rhinomocks