Customer Satisfaction and Agile Methods

  • donald.buresh
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
      To Whom It May Concern,

      Because of the significance of the work, and because of demand, I
      decided to publish the results of my research with VDM Publishing
      LLC. The web site is www.vdm-publishing,com. The book is
      entitled: "Customer Satisfaction and Agile Methods", and the ISBN
      number is 978-3-639-09476-3.

      The research surveyed 185 projects, and the results proved to be
      quite controversial, provocative, and unexpected. You will not look
      at agile methods the same way after you have read my book. You will
      not believe all of the hype that has been written about the use and
      results of agile methods. The next time that you read something on
      agile methods, you will think of my research. You will come away from
      my book with a greater understanding of what agile methods are all
      about, and what they can and do achieve, but more importantly, what
      they cannot and do not achieve.

      If you are interested in agile methods, but are unsure whether they
      are the right software development methods to employ, then my book is
      for you. In my book, you will find hard data on the characteristics
      of projects, participants, and whether agile methods are the only
      software development to use to satisfy your customers.

      I invite you to contact VDM Publishing LLC regarding my book
      entitled "Customer Satisfaction and Agile Methods", and find out for
      yourself the real value of employing agile software development
      methods rather than plan-driven software development methods.

      Donald L. Buresh, Ph.D.
      3115 Enoch Avenue
      Zion, IL 60099
      Tele: 847-872-1659
      LoganSquareDon@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
        Hello, donald. On Friday, November 7, 2008, at 1:33:53 AM,
        you wrote:

        > The research surveyed 185 projects, and the results proved to be
        > quite controversial, provocative, and unexpected. You will not look
        > at agile methods the same way after you have read my book. You will
        > not believe all of the hype that has been written about the use and
        > results of agile methods. The next time that you read something on
        > agile methods, you will think of my research. You will come away from
        > my book with a greater understanding of what agile methods are all
        > about, and what they can and do achieve, but more importantly, what
        > they cannot and do not achieve.

        I hope someone gets this book and tells me something of what's in
        it, and how the research was done, and so on. If they do, and they
        tell me things about it that this writeup does not, perhaps I'll get
        a copy.

        For me, the particular "teaser" you've written does not inspire me
        to seek out the book and read it. Quite the contrary. Not because it
        might say something bad about Agile -- I'd like to know if there are
        negative aspects to Agile. What bugs me about this blurb is that it
        doesn't provide anything about what the book actually says, but is
        just a very favorable review written by its own author, without any
        book summary or sample content.

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        I could be wrong, of course. It's just not the way to bet.
      • Dave Rooney
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
          After figuring out the typo in the publisher's URL, I couldn't find any
          reference to the book in an admittedly quick search.

          I concur that the teaser blurb just wasn't enough to inspire me to dig
          further. Maybe I'm jaded after David Longstreet's "Fairy Tales" article.

          --

          Dave Rooney
          Mayford Technologies

          Ron Jeffries wrote:
          > Hello, donald. On Friday, November 7, 2008, at 1:33:53 AM,
          > you wrote:
          >

          >> The research surveyed 185 projects, and the results proved to be
          >> quite controversial, provocative, and unexpected. You will not look
          >> at agile methods the same way after you have read my book. You will
          >> not believe all of the hype that has been written about the use and
          >> results of agile methods. The next time that you read something on
          >> agile methods, you will think of my research. You will come away from
          >> my book with a greater understanding of what agile methods are all
          >> about, and what they can and do achieve, but more importantly, what
          >> they cannot and do not achieve.
          >>

          > I hope someone gets this book and tells me something of what's in
          > it, and how the research was done, and so on. If they do, and they
          > tell me things about it that this writeup does not, perhaps I'll get
          > a copy.
          >
          > For me, the particular "teaser" you've written does not inspire me
          > to seek out the book and read it. Quite the contrary. Not because it
          > might say something bad about Agile -- I'd like to know if there are
          > negative aspects to Agile. What bugs me about this blurb is that it
          > doesn't provide anything about what the book actually says, but is
          > just a very favorable review written by its own author, without any
          > book summary or sample content.

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
            Dave,

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Dave Rooney <dave.rooney@...>
            wrote:

            > After figuring out the typo in the publisher's URL, I couldn't find
            any
            > reference to the book in an admittedly quick search.
            >
            > I concur that the teaser blurb just wasn't enough to inspire me to dig
            > further. Maybe I'm jaded after David Longstreet's "Fairy Tales"
            article.

            Wait... you mean "Fairy Tales" wasn't a humor piece? Agghh.. now I am
            jaded too!

            Matt
          • Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2008
              I'm a bit confused, all I know about Donald Buresh is he was a phd student
              searching for canditates for an internet survey. He posted this request for
              candiates so many times to different mailing groups that my spam filter
              seems to lock his mail address. Now he has a book?

              I'm caught in the middle now. if I don't read the book and it has some
              significant data I might miss something. If I buy the book and it's just a
              cheap shot for early fame, I feel like dumb.

              Besides, with all regards, the original mail seems to be a *provocative*
              spam of a commercial product.