Re: [XP] 10.000 Function Points

  • Cenk Çivici
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2008
      As project size, do you mean 'large team ( > 50 people), a looooong
      project (> 2 years), lots of stories?

      If thats the case, I have worked in an Agile team of 80+ people for
      over 2 years and the project has been a big success.
      I have been in smaller projects that were less successful :)

      There will be a free briefing about this project in London on November
      19th if anyone is interested.
      http://www.thoughtworks.com/what-we-say/events/tech-briefing_uk.html

      Cheers
      Cenk Çivici

      On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu
      <scabbasoglu@...> wrote:
      > In another group, a friend claimed Agile development looses it's effects
      > when project size reaches real large values (he approximated something like
      > 10.000 function points), even become hazardous. Although he had not show any
      > reference for this argument, I'd like to know your opinion about it.
      >
      > Is there anyone witnessed a successful large agile (particularly XP)
      > project?
      > Is there anyone witnessed a unsuccessful large agile project?
      > Are there any reference work about this issue?

    • Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2008
        Cenk,

        I remember of reading about your experience in that project (if I'm not
        mistaken you even posted a picture of the working environment). Although I
        don't know the specifics (and unfortunatly can't go to London at 19th) I
        always use your experiences as a reference for this kind of discussions.

        JB,

        What you suggest is pretty interested me. I'll search on that and put as an
        option on the next "large scale" discussion. Thx alot.

        To clear the case, I haven't worked on such a large agile project, but I
        heard many times "Agile can't work on large scale" myth. I'm calling it myth
        because I never saw a reference for that claim, a reference that shows a
        large project is failed just because it followed the Agile principles. On
        the otherhand I did not have a counter-example also. And when a similar
        discussion started on a different mailing list (based on reasoning not
        reference) I just wanted to search for references.

        I think I'm more confident now that, modifying or adding some practices,
        Agile thinking can scale "enough" to handle what Waterfall could handle.
        Thanks for all the answers.