Re: [XP] Re: Unit vs Integration TDD

    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hello, J.. On Saturday, November 1, 2008, at 5:16:36 PM, you
      wrote:

      >> Perhaps the problem is having the permutations.

      > Not all complexity is accidental. Much, maybe most, but not all.

      I think most complexity is created by poor design.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      Any errors you find in this are the work of Secret Villains,
      whose mad schemes will soon be revealed. -- Wil McCarthy
    • Rick Mugridge
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 8, 2008
        J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
        > I suggest programmers focus on isolated object tests and testers focus
        > on integration and end-to-end tests. If they do that, then they'll
        > come together pretty well at some point.
        > ----

        I believe that it's not the scale of the test that should determine who
        writes it.

        It's instead whether the tests expresses stuff that's part of the
        problem space or part of the solution space. Of course, where that
        boundary sits is critically dependent on the project and who is
        involved. And it changes as the problem, and solution, are better
        understood.

        And there can be several layers, with a solution space at one level
        being a problem space at another. So, for example, I'm happy to use
        storytests for specifying the technical details of communication with
        another system that is managed by another team. And I'm happy to have
        some storytests that mock out that other system so that we can use
        additive "specification"/testing rather than multiplicative across the
        systems. As always, we still need some end-to-end to ensure it's all
        wired together correctly and that failure modes across them are managed
        correctly.

        So I find the usual distinctions between unit tests and end-to-end tests
        and X, Y, Z tests to be unhelpful. As it's too late and too hard to
        refactor the terminology, I try (unsuccessfully) to avoid it.

        I prefer Brian Marick's distinction between customer-facing and
        programmer-facing tests.

        Cheers, Rick