How to measure Project Progress of an Agile Project

  • Rakesh Pandey
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
      HI

      How to measure project progress when executing a project using an Agile methodology. This may seem a question from someone who is trying to migrate from traditional waterfall approach to agile, but this question keeps coming to my mind again and again.

      Regards

      Rakesh Pandey, PMP ®
      +91-9810112234

    • Victor
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
        There is the initial project design game, and then quite frequently (daily,
        or weekly, or biweekly) the functional requirements for the next development
        cycle (daily, or weekly, or biweekly). Those requirements are recorded in
        cards. Once they are satisfied, the card is marked in some way, let's say
        with the date of completion and the word DONE in green ink.
        Also, the number of new unit tests passed could be recorded, together with
        the capital burn rate. Then all kind of sophisticated graphs could be drawn
        showing the developments as function of time.

        Víctor

        ====================================

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
        • J. B. Rainsberger
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
            On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 5:33 AM, Rakesh Pandey <rpandeydelhi@...> wrote:

            > How to measure project progress when executing a project using an Agile
            > methodology. This may seem a question from someone who is trying to migrate
            > from traditional waterfall approach to agile, but this question keeps coming
            > to my mind again and again.

            Rakesh, I imagine others will give you great ideas about what to
            measure; however, I'd like to ask you your question slightly
            differently:

            You've chosen to use agile practices on a project. What kinds of
            results do you expect from using agile practices on this project as
            opposed to doing whatever you used to do on that project?

            If you answer that question for me, then I think you'll answer your
            question for yourself.
            Your guide to software craftsmanship