how to organize a Scrum team

  • baihailei
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2008
      I am working with a video game project, while we have game
      designers, artists and software engineers. We want to adopt Scrum
      but there are some confusions among team members:
      1. Should game designers or artists be part of the scrum team?
      Arguably, game designers can be on-site customer or backlog owners;
      and artists can be asset providers. personally, i think they should
      not be part of the scrum team, since they are not developers. They
      can be invited to Daily scrum meeting as consultants.
      2. Should we divide the developers team into several scrum teams per
      the features they are working on.
      We have totally 10 developers. some team members think each scrum
      should focus one feature/system for a time, no matter how small
      number of people one scrum team should have. The extreme cases are
      that one developer can form one scrum team, and one developer will
      be the team members of more than one scrum team at the same time. To
      me, it's ridiculous. As a self-managed team, all the team members
      should be aware of what's going on with the whole project and make
      effort to contribute the most to the whole project instead of one
      feature/system. Besides, 10-person scrum is not big.
      3. Should we change the composition of scrums often?
      This question is related to question no. 2. One argument is that
      since scrum teams should focus working on one feature/system, after
      such feature/system is finished, we should reshuffle the scrum
      teams. This is ridiculous to me, too. I think scrum team should be
      stable, and again they should work on project instead of one part of
      it.

      Because of the confusion mentioned above, team members have
      different opinion on who should attend the daily scrum meeting. Some
      prefer all the developers attend one daily scrum, some think each
      scrum team should have their own daily scrum.

      Anyone can help me on the questions? Or any book/material
      recommended?

      Thanks

      Bai
    • Luciano Felix
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2008
        Hi Bai

        I think that some concepts from Scrum are not well understood on your
        example.
        I will try to show some basic things , but I recommend you a Certified Scrum
        Master training. It can be very helpful to your Scrum adoption

        Team Composition:
        Create multi-disciplinary teams, so, mix designers, artists, developer on
        the same team. Every skill necessary to deliver the product must be in the
        team. If the team became too large you can split it in the future, but try
        to work as a single team for some sprints.

        Feature Development:
        When we say that a scrum team must focus on a single feature, it doesn't
        mean that we have to split our team in series of small teams and assign them
        the features and create a false sense of parallel work. It means the team as
        a unit works, on the same feature, when it's done they pass to another, and
        so on until they meet the sprint commitment. This kind of organization will
        decrease the risk of not having anything done on the Sprint Review and
        creates a great sense of communication and collaboration among the team.

        Daily Scrum:
        All teams members must attend the daily scrum, not just the developers, it's
        a hard rule. If you had to split the team in two, each one of them will have
        their daily scrum. To provide communication and synchronization between this
        two teams you have a Scrum of Scrums.

        The way you describe your environment I don't see why create more than two
        teams, but remember, both teams must be multi-disciplinary.

        Some useful resources can be found here: www.scrumalliance.org

        Hope I had helped you!

        --
        Luciano FĂ©lix
        lucianofelix.wordpress.com

        On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:51 PM, baihailei <baihailei@...> wrote:

        > I am working with a video game project, while we have game
        > designers, artists and software engineers. We want to adopt Scrum
        > but there are some confusions among team members:
        > 1. Should game designers or artists be part of the scrum team?
        > Arguably, game designers can be on-site customer or backlog owners;
        > and artists can be asset providers. personally, i think they should
        > not be part of the scrum team, since they are not developers. They
        > can be invited to Daily scrum meeting as consultants.
        > 2. Should we divide the developers team into several scrum teams per
        > the features they are working on.
        > We have totally 10 developers. some team members think each scrum
        > should focus one feature/system for a time, no matter how small
        > number of people one scrum team should have. The extreme cases are
        > that one developer can form one scrum team, and one developer will
        > be the team members of more than one scrum team at the same time. To
        > me, it's ridiculous. As a self-managed team, all the team members
        > should be aware of what's going on with the whole project and make
        > effort to contribute the most to the whole project instead of one
        > feature/system. Besides, 10-person scrum is not big.
        > 3. Should we change the composition of scrums often?
        > This question is related to question no. 2. One argument is that
        > since scrum teams should focus working on one feature/system, after
        > such feature/system is finished, we should reshuffle the scrum
        > teams. This is ridiculous to me, too. I think scrum team should be
        > stable, and again they should work on project instead of one part of
        > it.
        >
        > Because of the confusion mentioned above, team members have
        > different opinion on who should attend the daily scrum meeting. Some
        > prefer all the developers attend one daily scrum, some think each
        > scrum team should have their own daily scrum.
        >
        > Anyone can help me on the questions? Or any book/material
        > recommended?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bai

      • bai hailei
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2008
          Thanks Luciano,

          Some of the team members do have exposure to Scrum/XP projects. But
          it's difficult to obtain concensus on exactly how we should implement
          Scrum practices under our context. The results of debate are usually
          the compromise of different opinions, but the problem is that the ones
          who made more compromise didn't feel good and will not execute what
          have been agreed on wholeheartedly. To make things worse, the
          developers don't care much about which process/methodology will be
          used, only the managers are excited about Scrum but usually don't
          agree with each other how we should implement Scrum. For me, the
          long/medium term goal is to stimulate the ownership of all the team
          members to the extent that they will gather together when they find is
          necessary to talk about issues/obstables of the project without
          managers urging.

          Bai
        • Jeff Grigg
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 23, 2008
            --- "bai hailei" <baihailei@...> wrote:
            > [...] For me, the long/medium term goal is to stimulate the
            > ownership of all the team members to the extent that they
            > will gather together when they find is necessary to talk
            > about issues/obstables of the project without managers urging.

            Offer them pizza. They'll come to the meeting if there's pizza. ;->
          • Liang Qiao
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2008
              Please pay more attention to your start point, not just focus on the
              practices.

              Do you let people see how the practices works for you?

              Please follow the agile principle, not just the practices.

              BTW: Maybe asking help from outside is better than do it by yourself.

              Qiao Liang