Looking for training exercises

  • Adam Wildavsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
      I'm co-teaching an internal one-day "Intro to Agile" class with a focus on
      XP. Participants will be software engineers. The last time the only exercise
      we ran was one for planning poker. Feedback suggested that more exercises
      would go over well, so I'd like to add a few. Any suggestions? Here's what
      I've come across online:

      http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/xp/planninggame.html

      http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeHour

      http://xp.be/xpgame.html

      --
      Adam Wildavsky <adam@...> www.tameware.com

    • Adam Wildavsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Adam Wildavsky <adam@...> wrote:

        > I'm co-teaching an internal one-day "Intro to Agile" class with a focus on
        > XP. Participants will be software engineers. The last time the only exercise
        > we ran was one for planning poker. Feedback suggested that more exercises
        > would go over well, so I'd like to add a few. Any suggestions? Here's what
        > I've come across online:
        >
        > http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/xp/planninggame.html<http://csis.pace.edu/%7Ebergin/xp/planninggame.html>
        >
        > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeHour

        > http://xp.be/xpgame.html

        Found one more:

        http://blog.excastle.com/2006/07/24/agile-2006-the-lego-xp-game/

        --
        Adam Wildavsky <adam@...> www.tameware.com

      • Kristofer Hansson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
          Hi Adam

          http://sites.google.com/site/tddproblems/ should be a good place to
          find examples.

          Check out the discussions on
          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/testdrivendevelopment

          /Kristofer

          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Wildavsky" <adam@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm co-teaching an internal one-day "Intro to Agile" class with a
          focus on
          > XP. Participants will be software engineers. The last time the only
          exercise
          > we ran was one for planning poker. Feedback suggested that more
          exercises
          > would go over well, so I'd like to add a few. Any suggestions?
          Here's what
          > I've come across online:
          >
          > http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/xp/planninggame.html
          >
          > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeHour

          > http://xp.be/xpgame.html
          >
          > --
          > Adam Wildavsky <adam@...> www.tameware.com

        • banshee858
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008

            > I'm co-teaching an internal one-day "Intro to Agile" class with a
            > focus on XP. Participants will be software engineers. The last time
            > the only exercise we ran was one for planning poker. Feedback
            > suggested that more exercises would go over well, so I'd like to add
            > a few. Any suggestions? Here's what
            > I've come across online:
            >
            > http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/xp/planninggame.html
            >
            > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeHour

            > http://xp.be/xpgame.html

            What are you trying to train? I have developed a number of these
            trainings and my first suggestion is to ask yourself "What is the
            purpose of this training?"

            - Is it simply an intro?
            - Are you giving tools people can use?
            - Or do you want people to start doing this tomorrow?

            Once I have figured out my objective, then I would come up with an
            agenda in the form of questions that your training will answer that
            ultimately tie back into the purpose of training. If your purpose is
            to give people an intro here are some 1st draft agenda questions I
            might come up with:

            1) What is Agile software development? What problems is it trying to
            address?
            2) Why might some people resist this type of change?
            3) How might we cross-functional teams help improve our products?
            ... you get the point

            Only after the agenda and purpose are good, then I would figure out my
            exercises since they help answer the questions. So, I go back to my
            original point: what is the purpose of this training?

            Carlton
          • Adam Wildavsky
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2008
              On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 2:34 PM, banshee858 <cnett858@...> wrote:

              > > I'm co-teaching an internal one-day "Intro to Agile" class with a
              > > focus on XP. Participants will be software engineers. The last time
              > > the only exercise we ran was one for planning poker. Feedback
              > > suggested that more exercises would go over well, so I'd like to add
              > > a few. Any suggestions? Here's what
              > > I've come across online:
              > >
              > > http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/xp/planninggame.html<http://csis.pace.edu/%7Ebergin/xp/planninggame.html>
              > >
              > > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeHour

              > > http://xp.be/xpgame.html
              > >
              > What are you trying to train? I have developed a number of these
              > trainings and my first suggestion is to ask yourself "What is the
              > purpose of this training?"
              >
              > - Is it simply an intro?
              > - Are you giving tools people can use?
              > - Or do you want people to start doing this tomorrow?
              >
              > Once I have figured out my objective, then I would come up with an
              > agenda in the form of questions that your training will answer that
              > ultimately tie back into the purpose of training. If your purpose is
              > to give people an intro here are some 1st draft agenda questions I
              > might come up with:
              >
              > 1) What is Agile software development? What problems is it trying to
              > address?
              > 2) Why might some people resist this type of change?
              > 3) How might we cross-functional teams help improve our products?
              > ... you get the point
              >
              > Only after the agenda and purpose are good, then I would figure out my
              > exercises since they help answer the questions. So, I go back to my
              > original point: what is the purpose of this training?

              Attendance is voluntary, so presumably everyone is considering adopting
              Agile practices if they haven't already. I'd like attendees who are not
              using XP to immediately start doing so, but experience has shown that's
              unlikely. I'm working on setting up a coaching system for those who are
              enthusiastic enough to start the next day, or shortly thereafter, though I
              don't think that's relevant to the question at hand. Here's the class

              "This one-day class will cover the concepts of Agile software development.
              The class itself will be run along agile lines, with class members
              prioritizing the items they'd like to see covered. On that account each
              instance of the class will be different. The day will begin with an
              introduction to the fundamental mechanisms of agile development, namely
              iterations, backlogs, and retrospectives. Possible further topics include:
              ..."

              As for the agenda, we run the class along agile lines, and the attendees are
              the customers, so it varies according to their priorities. One suggestion
              we've received in our class retrospectives is for more exercises, hence my
              post here.

              --
              Adam Wildavsky <adam@...> www.tameware.com