Who said...

  • Dave Rooney
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
      ...something along the lines of, "reuse should be a nice side effect,
      not a goal, of good design".

      I thought I saw it on this list a long time ago, but I've searched to no
      avail. Same with Google.

      Thanks in advance!

      Dave Rooney
      Mayford Technologies
      "Helping you become AGILE... to SURVIVE and THRIVE!"
      http://www.mayford.ca
      http://practicalagility.blogspot.com
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        Dave Rooney wrote:

        > ...something along the lines of, "reuse should be a nice side effect,
        > not a goal, of good design".

        I have more quotes out there that others attributed to someone else. Someone
        attributed "if you run out of room on your story cards, use smaller cards" to
        Tom Poppendieck, for example.

        Phlip wrote:

        VV wrote:

        I have spend most of my career with object oriented concepts (12+ years
        ) but recently with AJAX and the free tools, I really wonder what the
        future of OO is.

        I recently launched a business written completely with free tools like
        php and AJAX. I worked hard to give everything a structure like we OO
        programmers are so particular about but honestly there was minimal
        dependence on OO.

        That makes me wonder what you think OO is, if you didn't see it all over
        your project.

        The extend of my reusability might have been include pages, constants
        etc.

        Re-use is a happy side-effect of good designs. The primary goal is managing
        dependencies between modules, by making them more pluggable. Your web page
        can work in any browser, so the HTTP and HTML are like adapter layers. The
        actual browser gives alternate behaviors to the common inputs.

        --
        Phlip
      • Dave Rooney
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
          Thanks! What list was that from - I couldn't find it in the archives of
          the XP list.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
            Dave Rooney wrote:

            > Thanks! What list was that from - I couldn't find it in the archives of
            > the XP list.

            comp.object :

            http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/General/comp.object/2006-09/msg00112.html