Re: [XP] Product Owner

  • David H.
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2008
      On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Mike Coon <mcoon1961@...> wrote:
      > So far my experience on this list is that I'm doing everything in the worst
      > possible way, still I continue :-)
      >
      > We have this document called the application matrix that has points of
      > contact for the Dev manager, QA Resource, App Support resource etc. for each
      > of our applications. I added a field a week or two ago for the
      > Product/Functional Area Owner and I talked to a bunch of managers and
      > directors about the need to identify the people to fill this role.
      > During the weekly management call yesterday we asked folks to identify
      > people and fill in the field by the middle of October. It turns out there
      > is some confusion about having one person globally responsible for an app.
      > I was asked to more fully describe the role and how that would work where
      > we currently have a division of responsibilities. Here's my first attempt -
      > fire away.

      I would suggest that you have a conversation with those who are unsure
      of what that means rather than writing a document. But that is just me
      :)

      > The Product Owner<http://everest.icallinc.com/http:/www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/product_owner>has
      > overall responsibility and authority for the Functionality, Quality,
      > and
      > ROI for their application.
      >
      > They prioritize all the work for their product, so they must have complete
      > visibility of business, regulatory, and technical drivers affecting their
      > application.
      >
      > They also express each item in the form of a user
      > story<http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/userStory.htm>that can be
      > estimated.

      Personally I would use
      http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/article/view/27-advantages-of-user-stories-for-requirements
      as the reference link, I think it is clearer but I will be honest and
      say that I dislike most material on that domain :)

      -d

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu