Re: [XP] A CIO's view of Agile...

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4 9:28 PM
      Esther Schindler wrote:
      > 7 Agile Leadership Lessons for the Suits
      > CIO Eugene Nitzker attended this year's Agile conference and returned
      > with several suggestions for CIOs, IT managers and programming team
      > leaders. This isn't the geeky stuff that developers talk about among
      > themselves; rather, he explains the strategic adjustments that would-
      > be Agile companies need to adopt.
      > http://www.cio.com/article/447712

      Amen to this part:

      "Conventional appraisal and reward systems often create competition
      within the team. The consequences are obvious: If managerial efforts to
      create a collaborative environment contradict the company's appraisal
      system, team members will always believe what the appraisal system
      suggests. Should we be surprised when our incentive systems extinguish
      collaboration if individuals compete for rewards?"

      I've run headlong into this over the past couple of weeks. It is indeed
      our "goal planning" time, and so people are busily trying to figure out
      how to interpret the goals we laid out into the secret plan we have to
      get them all fired.

      For example, one of the team goals my boss wanted our dev team to be
      measured on was defect rates. I fought against this, and instead we put
      as a team goal to measure how we, as an organization, are doing at
      completing the stories we commit to.

      I was a little surprised by the backlash this caused, because the
      developers were highly upset that they didn't have any control over the
      completion of the stories - since by completed, we mean, code complete,
      QA'd and accepted by the customer (in our case, the business, who is on
      board and working with our cycles).

      Their answer was to only sign up for one story, and then just pull
      things in as needed. I was fine with that - it was their process, and if
      they wanted to switch to more of a pull-type system, then I'll help them.

      Of course, what they wanted to do was show the absurdity of the goal.
      What they got was confirmation that they own this process, and it is up
      to all of us to find the optimal way for us to run.

      I would love to hear how others work when dealing with goals and goal
      setting.

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5 12:50 AM
        Esther Schindler wrote:

        > (There isn't an agile.reddit.com is there? If not, shouldn't there be?)

        There is, and your article is already there!
      • Esther Schindler
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5 6:25 AM
          On Sep 5, 2008, at 12:50 AM, Oolis Kraprin wrote:
          > Esther Schindler wrote:
          >> (There isn't an agile.reddit.com is there? If not, shouldn't there
          >> be?)
          > There is, and your article is already there!

          Oh cool -- thanks for the pointer!