A CIO's view of Agile...

  • Esther Schindler
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
      In Brazen Hussy self-promotion mode (since it's from my site), but
      also I think this article will be of interest...

      (There isn't an agile.reddit.com is there? If not, shouldn't there be?)

      7 Agile Leadership Lessons for the Suits
      CIO Eugene Nitzker attended this year's Agile conference and returned
      with several suggestions for CIOs, IT managers and programming team
      leaders. This isn't the geeky stuff that developers talk about among
      themselves; rather, he explains the strategic adjustments that would-
      be Agile companies need to adopt.
      http://www.cio.com/article/447712
    • David H.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
        On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Esther Schindler <esther@...> wrote:
        > In Brazen Hussy self-promotion mode (since it's from my site), but
        > also I think this article will be of interest...
        >
        > (There isn't an agile.reddit.com is there? If not, shouldn't there be?)
        >
        > 7 Agile Leadership Lessons for the Suits
        > CIO Eugene Nitzker attended this year's Agile conference and returned
        > with several suggestions for CIOs, IT managers and programming team
        > leaders. This isn't the geeky stuff that developers talk about among
        > themselves; rather, he explains the strategic adjustments that would-
        > be Agile companies need to adopt.
        > http://www.cio.com/article/447712

        Very good.
        Even though point number 4 should be pondered much more in depth.
        Probably because I personally do not really agree with Mary's
        apprioach :)

        -d

        benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
      • Cory Foy
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
          Esther Schindler wrote:
          > 7 Agile Leadership Lessons for the Suits
          > CIO Eugene Nitzker attended this year's Agile conference and returned
          > with several suggestions for CIOs, IT managers and programming team
          > leaders. This isn't the geeky stuff that developers talk about among
          > themselves; rather, he explains the strategic adjustments that would-
          > be Agile companies need to adopt.
          > http://www.cio.com/article/447712

          Amen to this part:

          "Conventional appraisal and reward systems often create competition
          within the team. The consequences are obvious: If managerial efforts to
          create a collaborative environment contradict the company's appraisal
          system, team members will always believe what the appraisal system
          suggests. Should we be surprised when our incentive systems extinguish
          collaboration if individuals compete for rewards?"

          I've run headlong into this over the past couple of weeks. It is indeed
          our "goal planning" time, and so people are busily trying to figure out
          how to interpret the goals we laid out into the secret plan we have to
          get them all fired.

          For example, one of the team goals my boss wanted our dev team to be
          measured on was defect rates. I fought against this, and instead we put
          as a team goal to measure how we, as an organization, are doing at
          completing the stories we commit to.

          I was a little surprised by the backlash this caused, because the
          developers were highly upset that they didn't have any control over the
          completion of the stories - since by completed, we mean, code complete,
          QA'd and accepted by the customer (in our case, the business, who is on
          board and working with our cycles).

          Their answer was to only sign up for one story, and then just pull
          things in as needed. I was fine with that - it was their process, and if
          they wanted to switch to more of a pull-type system, then I'll help them.

          Of course, what they wanted to do was show the absurdity of the goal.
          What they got was confirmation that they own this process, and it is up
          to all of us to find the optimal way for us to run.

          I would love to hear how others work when dealing with goals and goal
          setting.

          --
          Cory Foy
          http://www.cornetdesign.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2008
            Esther Schindler wrote:

            > (There isn't an agile.reddit.com is there? If not, shouldn't there be?)

            There is, and your article is already there!
          • Esther Schindler
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 2008
              On Sep 5, 2008, at 12:50 AM, Oolis Kraprin wrote:
              > Esther Schindler wrote:
              >> (There isn't an agile.reddit.com is there? If not, shouldn't there
              >> be?)
              > There is, and your article is already there!

              Oh cool -- thanks for the pointer!