Re[2]: [XP] Software Risk - books help request

  • Doug Swartz
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008
      Wednesday, September 03, 2008, 12:59:16 PM, paul grew wrote:

      > i agree with everything everyone has said about risk mitigation and
      > Steven's comment about not bothering to mitigate irrelevant risks is a
      > great example of YAGNI.
      > but if the traditional approach to risk analysis is
      > get a list of typical project risks
      > add some of your own
      > work out the probability of each occurring
      > work out the impact for each
      > design a plan for how to avoid it or what to do if it happens
      > then forget about it (excuse my sarcasm)

      > then what's the agile or XP approach? is this what folks do?
      > brainstorm what would really screw up the project
      > add some tasks to the release plan or change some behaviour of the team
      > repeat based on feed back each iteration

      One of the risk mitigation strategies we learned as part
      of our initial foray into XP land is: "Worst things first".
      In other words, if there are things that we feel are risky to
      the project, deal with them first, which leads to the risk
      limitation strategy we talk about, known as "fail early". If
      the project is going to fail, let's do it as early as
      possible, so we don't waste all of our money, just some of it.

      I've always felt you need to do some version of the first four
      things on your list to be able to know what is the "worst"
      thing, so you can deal with it. Every project I've been on
      could list its big risks with a reasonable sense of each's
      likelihood and probable worst case impact with less than a
      day's worth of effort.

      Somewhere near the middle of the page at
      http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WorstThingsFirst Kent has a nice short
      summary that reminds us the "worst", and riskiest things are
      often not strictly technical in nature. We forget this at our
      own peril.

      Doug Swartz