RE: [XP] Re: metaphors

  • kentb
    Message 1 of 471 , Sep 3, 2008
      I wanted to let this cool before replying. I didn't give up metaphor. I
      agree with Lakoff and Johnson that all abstract thought is metaphorical and
      grounded in our physical experience. However, I don't know how to write a
      brief treatment of metaphors in programming that will be useful.

      A recent example of the value of metaphor is the switch in JUnit 4 from an
      object-oriented framework (where you subclass and override) to a domain
      specific language. This has extended, in the latest release, to an embedded
      domains specific language for running tests. Folks who want to run tests in
      a different way can express their extended behavior in terms of new
      "statments" which get inserted into a "block".

      Regards,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

      _____

      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)