Re: [XP] Ping-pong pairing - any resources?

  • Simon Kirk
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2008
      Hi Dave

      On 3 Sep 2008, at 16:20, Dave Smith wrote:

      > Simon,
      >
      > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 5:50 AM, Simon Kirk <extremeprogramming@...
      >> wrote:
      >
      >> Hi all
      >>
      >> Some of my team are forming a study group around (so-called) ping-
      >> pong
      >> pairing, meaning one of the pair writes the test, then the keyboard
      >> is
      >> swapped, and the other writes the passing code.
      >

      > I kind of suspect that a study group approach to ping-pong
      > programming is
      > way overkill, unless the study group is going to try it out before
      > talking
      > about it. Ping pong is really, really simple. It doesn't need
      > resources
      > other
      > than computer with some flavor of unit testing framework installed
      > (though
      > two keyboards/mice can be helpful for logistical and sanitary
      > reasons).

      Yes, I agree. Trying it out is exactly what the group are going to do.
      I was using Study Group in terms of the pattern from Fearless Change,
      but really, it's the development team taking a chance to learn
      something together.

      The two keyboards and mouse approach is something they're ready to
      give a go.

      But one of the team wanted to try and find something to read in case
      somebody else had some wisdom...

      >> Has anybody got any resources, info or whatever about this practice
      >> that they can have a look at for reference?
      >

      > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PairProgrammingPingPongPattern describes
      > it quite well on 1/3rd of a page.
      >
      > The theory behind Ping Pong Programming, as far as I've seen, is
      > pretty simple: it keeps both halves of a pair attentive and occupied.
      > That's been my experience.

      ... which is precisely what you've given me there :)

      Thanks for the link, I'll forward it on.

      Cheers,
      Simon
      [|]
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2008
        Simon Kirk wrote:

        > Some of my team are forming a study group around (so-called) ping-pong
        > pairing, meaning one of the pair writes the test, then the keyboard is
        > swapped, and the other writes the passing code.
        >
        > Has anybody got any resources, info or whatever about this practice
        > that they can have a look at for reference?

        Sounds like my egg-timer experiment - search in this group over this summer for
        those threads. The experiment is ongoing...

        --
        Phlip