Re: [XP] how much to unit test function that calls well-tested functions?

  • John A. De Goes
    Message 1 of 60 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hi Victor,

      Then we may not disagree at all, and would likely both recommend that
      David continue writing tests, until the behavior he needs is captured
      in the tests.

      Regards,

      John A. De Goes
      N-BRAIN, Inc.
      http://www.n-brain.net
      [n minds are better than n-1]

      On Sep 2, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Victor wrote:

      > Hi John,
      >
      > I am afraid we understand differently what I wrote.
      >
      > > The point is that if your code *relies* on a method to behave a
      > certain way, then your intention and the consequent code dependencies
      > should be documented in an automated test.
      >
      > No problem with that. If the code *relies*, then it's part of the
      > requirements for the current development cycle, and it should not be
      > a problem to write the corresponding test. What I am relating to is
      > a case where the situation is more nebulous, things are not clear,
      > and the developer does not know how to proceed. If you don't know
      > how to proceed, it's because either there is no requirement, or the
      > requirement is not clear. Then either clarify the requirement or if
      > you can't, proceed to the next existing one. That's all.
      >
      > VĂ­ctor

    • John A. De Goes
      Message 60 of 60 , Sep 13, 2008
        Yes, but in the case of a competition, there is no change. It's truly
        a write-once, throwaway scenario, for which there is no investment to
        protect.

        Regards,

        John A. De Goes
        N-BRAIN, Inc.