Re: [XP] Re: Agile crossed the chasm?

  • Michael T. Nygard
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2008
      At Agile 2008, I noticed a distinct group of books and sessions about
      "adopting agile".

      I tend to interpret this as an early mainstream support structure.
      Innovators and the leading edge don't typically go to sessions about
      "adopting X", they just jump in with both feet.

      On Aug 14, 2008, at 12:58 PM, aacockburn wrote:

      > I wouldn't do anything differently in the "advertising" sense,
      > because I don't care that much ...
      >
      > ... however, when use cases "crossed the chasm" about 6 years ago,
      > I noticed a very different class of people showing up in my
      > classes --- people who didn't really care what a use case is,
      > didn't really want to learn about them, but who were pretty
      > much told, "Go take this course." Their priority was to get
      > all this other work done, not learn potentially cool new things.
      > Later, I got people whose priority was to go home at 5:00 pm.
      >
      > Those changed our teaching habits a bit, because we couldn't
      > rely on the students to pull information from the class, the
      > class had to run slower and link all the dots better.
      >
      > That's what I will expect when agile crosses the chasm.
      >

      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <maswaffer@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> Alistair,
      >>
      >> Interesting. I wonder what people would do differently if they
      >> discovered that agile was still in Innovator rather than Early
      > Adopter.
      >>
      >> Or what would they do differently if we are in Early Majority rather
      >> than Innovator?
      >>
      >> Aside from consultants, does it matter? Not being provocative, asking
      >> because I feel like I am missing something in this discussion.
      >>
      >> Matt

      Michael T. Nygard
      mtnygard@...
      http://www.michaelnygard.com/