Re: [XP] Re: Just enough up front design ... with patterns

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 18 12:44 PM
      On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Rhydian Thomas <rhydiant@...> wrote:
      > does the same apply for the very first design session? so there is no
      > existing product, no existing infrastructure, no architecture ... how
      > much effort typicaly goes into the very first design session and what
      > role (if any) do architectural patterns play?

      The architecture comes together when enough features have been
      developed to see the emergence of common needs and patterns -
      duplication in the implementation of multiple features that gets
      refactored into shared code.

      At the beginning it is far much more important to:
      1. Prime the feedback pump with the customer as quickly as possible
      with working software before they lose enthusiasm,
      2. Utilize those short feedback loops to help the customer discover
      the actual requirements as soon as possible (be prepared to throw away
      some early work when the customer discovers that they do not actually
      need what they asked for. why invest heavily up front in architecture
      for what may turn out to be unneeded or at least reworked based on new
      understandings of the domain?).

      So, we should first just do the simplest thing that will get working
      software into the customers hands. When the customer starts getting
      what they really need and code duplication starts to emerge, then it
      is time to apply architectural patterns.

      Steve