Cost estimates are quaint

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 136 , Aug 10, 2008
      Hello, folks.

      I took the opportunity of attending Agile 2008 to spend a few hours
      speaking with Arlo Belshee, who I'd like to congratulate publicly here
      for winning a Gordon Pask Award. He told me about some research and
      practice he has completed regarding cost estimates--notably, not
      making them. He argued, or so I managed to discern, that the energy
      that goes in to making and managing cost estimates outweighs the
      benefit of having them. I immediately saw how that would work, but I
      wanted to know whether anyone out there has any experience running
      projects where you measured results but didn't estimate costs.

      Stories? Studies? Journals? Financial statements? Anyone? Anything?

      Thanks.
      ----
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
      2005 Gordon Pask Award for contributions to Agile Software Practice
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 136 of 136 , Aug 24, 2008
        On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 8:48 PM, David H. <dmalloc@...> wrote:
        > <snip>
        >
        >>> Briefly, our minds implement first-fit pattern matching (find the
        >>> first solution that seems good enough) not best-fit.
        >
        > Might I ask how you arrived at that statement? This article (amongst
        > many others)
        > http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2430007
        > seems to contradict you. It seems to be very situationally dependent
        > whether the brain returns a first-fit for evaluation or a best-fit it
        > already knows about

        Why couldn't any candidate that one already knows about (whether it is
        known to be a best-fit, known to not be a best-fit, or neither) be the
        first-fit for evaluation? If the first candidate solution one settles
        on trying first just happens to turn out to be a best-fit sometimes,
        how does that negate that hypothesis?