Re: [XP] Collocated vs Dispersed...which is better?

  • Ken Boucher
    Message 1 of 471 , Aug 2, 2008
      > A distributed team has a much lower communication pipeline than
      > a co-located one.

      I don't know this to be a completely accurate statement. I believe it
      to be true, but I think we're missing part of the picture and not
      recognizing that we're missing it.

      My experience is that collocation is better than dispersed and that
      the further people were dispersed the worse things got.

      But I don't think we were doing dispersed RIGHT.

      While I think agile is better than waterfall, it's my opinion that
      waterfall done right is better than agile done wrong. I think this is
      one of the reasons we try so hard to express that there are better and
      worse ways of doing things. If a group uses the better ways, they're
      going to have a lot more success.

      Face to face is possibly the most high bandwidth communication
      pipeline there is. That being said, I love Wikipedia, despite it's
      faults. It's a lot lower bandwidth but it's right there the moment I
      need it. There is something about Wikipedia that makes it extremely
      valued, despite it's low bandwidth.

      I keep thinking that if I was doing dispersed RIGHT, I would have a
      lot less face to face information sharing and a lot more information
      that was searchable. I think our wiki would have been used a lot more
      and contained a lot more information. I think our cards would have
      been searchable and I wonder what behaviors that would have changed.
      What doors would searchable cards have opened? What if I recorded the
      instant messages? Heck, what if I had a tool that searched e-mails,
      wiki, cards, and recorded instant messages?

      Perhaps the difference in my mind is that face to face is a high
      bandwidth NON-RETAINED communication mode and there may be advantages
      to low bandwidth RETAINED communication modes. Maybe it's not all
      about the bandwidth.

      I don't know, but I think I'd like to learn how to do distributed the
      RIGHT way. Until then I don't think I can honestly say which one is
      better.
    • Keith Ray
      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)