Re: [XP] Re: Collocated vs Dispersed...which is better?

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 471 , Aug 2, 2008
      Hi, Kripanidhi!

      Kripanidhi S M wrote:
      > Can someone validate if my communication was "comprehendible" ?

      Yes, it indeed was clear and made sense. Thanks for posting it. A couple
      of comments:

      > Point 1 was found TRUE in contexts where the Team Members are Average, or
      > may be less experienced both in Agile and/or in their Operational Domains,
      > Need guidance and support, Need to learn through active collaboration, are
      > usually deficient in their professional skills/ experience and are more
      > often than not, not necessarily the best fit for the team roles. They
      > however had an excellent Agile Work Environment, Open bull-pen common room
      > seating the entire team, excellent collaborative and sensitive customer
      > onsite collocated with them, a Mature Management who demonstrated true
      > Agile Leadership in empowering, supporting and guiding the team in the right
      > spirit. In such situations Point 2 is always FALSE. Example: Start-ups
      > that are driven by Entrepreneurs

      All of the teams I coach these days are in start-ups, and my experience
      is a bit different. I suspect that's because the Silicon Valley area is
      unusual, a hot-house for early-stage companies.

      At least here, with a startup one works hard to hire top people. That's
      partly because hiring experts is, in value-for-money terms, cheaper than
      hiring novices. It's partly because the beginning of a company is
      especially risky, and so you do what you can to reduce that risk. And
      it's partly because as a company grows, your early people will become
      organizational leaders.

      All but one of my teams are collocated, by which I mean the team sits
      together in close proximity without cubicles. That one exception is a
      dispersed team, but they'd rather be together.

      They all prefer collocation because the ease of communication makes them
      more effective and more adaptable. Although they are not learning the
      professional basics, they never stop learning about the domain, the
      technologies, or better ways to work.

      William
    • Keith Ray
      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)