Re: [XP] Collocated vs Dispersed...which is better?

  • Jon Eaves
    Message 1 of 471 , Aug 2, 2008
      John A. De Goes wrote:
      > Hi David,

      I'm not David, but I'll answer to this from my perspective.

      > I'm surprised at the vehemence of your objections. Did you have a bad
      > experience with distributed development? Or do you really think that a
      > distributed team is inferior *in every single way* to a collocated team?

      Holding all other variables constant, distributed is inferior in every single
      way to co-located. Of this I am 100% sure. I've had 2 years of being able to
      study this very closely, and collect measurements as part of it.

      The only situation where I can see distributed as being advantageous is if
      team members have Ebola.

      Having said all of that, distributed teams can work successfully, so it's not
      like there's always the vortex of despair just from a distributed team. It's
      just that if a successful distributed team was able to "come together" then
      they would be cheaper, and faster.

      Cheers,
      -- jon

      --
      Jon Eaves <jon@...>
      http://www.eaves.org/blog/
      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)