Re: [XP] Collocated vs Dispersed...which is better?

  • Ken Boucher
    Message 1 of 471 , Aug 1, 2008
      > The response rates seem to back my interpretation. If people mainly
      > thought it was about belief rather than the experience of them or
      > their organizations, then I'd expect a pretty high response rate.
      > Everybody has opinions. But respectively 40.9%, 42.0%, and 54.5%
      > of the respondents whose organizations had agile projects answered
      > either "not applicable" or "don't know". That's much higher than
      > the circa 15% of the people who didn't have broad opinions about
      > agile methods in question 21.

      Yes, but I think you'd see that break depending on their
      interpretation of the question. In short, I think that many of the
      people who understood the as regarding their own experience tended to
      choose not to answer it and many of those people who understood the
      question as regarding their opinion choose to answer it.

      I could be wrong in this, but just as the different wording in the
      earlier questions could lead someone to think the pattern should be
      maintained, the sudden change of wording could lead someone to think
      the pattern had changed.

      But lets move on and see what we discover.

      > Pulling up the raw answers in a spreadsheet, I see that 39% of
      > people who answered any of 13-15 answered only one; 31.4% answered
      > two, and only 29.7% answered all three. Those numbers seem to match
      > much better with assumption that they were answering based on
      > personal or organizational experience than that people were just
      > giving an opinion.

      I cannot match the concept that 29.7 percent of the people that
      responded had personal or organization experience with all three
      categories in sufficient numbers to pick a percentage with what I see
      in the XP and Scrumdevelopment forums on this question. Where ARE
      these people?

      But perhaps the survey itself can answer that question for us. There
      is an additional question on the survey that may help us: "How many
      agile projects has your organization run?"

      So, let's remove all the people who didn't respond to any of the three
      questions. Now we have 291 people. From here, we'll remove people who
      are still in the agile pilot phase because clearly they're not in a
      position to judge percentage of failures yet. That throws out 30 or
      over 10% of the data right there. Of the remaining 261 responses, 139
      of them have 1-5 agile projects in their organization and 64 have 6-10
      agile projects in their organization. That's 203 out of 261 clearly
      unqualified to answer all three questions with organizational experience.

      But at least we still have 58 people left. So let's take a look at
      what they say. In fact, let's try an experiment. Of those 58 people,
      29 of them answered all three categories. What do they have to say
      about dispersed programming? 11 of them claim that there is NO
      DIFFERENCE in the success rate of these groups. I, personally, find
      that amazing. Once we get down to people who might actually have
      experience enough to answer all three survey questions based on
      organizational experience, 11 out of 29 say it doesn't matter if the
      group is collocated or dispersed.

      I don't know about you, but I want to pick these people's minds and
      learn from them. What do these 11 people know that tells them "Sit
      together" doesn't matter?

      You may be able to sit down and come up with a rule that reasonably
      allows you to discard responses based on organizational experience and
      in doing so you may find some numbers you can go off of, but for me,
      there's so much doubt raised about these questions in particular that
      there's no way for me to get any numbers that I would trust with
      regards to this issue.

      Note that you found 29.7% of 291 people answering all three questions
      and yet I was only able to find 29 people who had organizations with
      more than 10 projects answering all three questions. I don't know
      about you but that raises a lot of questions I can't answer.
    • Keith Ray
      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)